VMware Cloud Community
HomeBrewer
Contributor
Contributor

Observed IP ranges.... how is it populated? or how do I change it?

So, I can't figure this one out. I'm new to VMWare.. but thrown into the fire right away. We have quite a mix.. ESX 3.0, 3.5 and some new 4.o that I built. I'm trying to VMotion to the new 4.0 so that I can rebuild the older severs and upgrade their memory as well.... In the process, I have discovered that the Vmotions were working, but when the VM's were on the new servers, they lost network connectivity. After hours of trouble shooting, it came down to seeing that the range of the servers VMotioned, didnt match the IP ranges on the new "home" for the VM's. Then I figured out the "Observed IP ranges" and they didnt match, which explains it.

Now, how do I change it, or is it a function of the port, that the NIC is plugged into?

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

The "Observed IP range" shows the IP subnets the particular vSwitch detected over its physical NIC's. These numbers can't be changed by configuring the vSwitch. It shows what is detected. Check your network setup on that ESX server.

If these numbers don't match it seems that at least one adapter of the vSwitch may be plugged into the wrong switch port, VLAN, etc.

AWo

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
adamy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I Agree with AWo

In my experience you have the same networks set up on both sides or Vmotion would fail. However, you are missing a VLAN on the destination trunk line. You or your network team will need to add that VLAN to the trunk. It should work after that.

0 Kudos