VMware Cloud Community
bcarpio
Contributor
Contributor

OVF File Cannot Be Deployed On The Target Hardware

Hi,

I am running Vmware ESXi 4.0, I exported a virtual machine as an OVF, when I try and import the OVF back into VMware using the vSphere client it imports fine, the issue with this is that I want to import it as a thin disk, to do this I generally use VMware converter (I do this all the time BTW), however when I select "Convert Machine" >> Virtual Appliance >> Select The OVF template and press next I get the error message "cannot be deployed on the target hardware"..

Obvioulsy the OVF file is fine since I can import it using thevSphere client... but why can't vmware converter see it? Like I said I do this exact thing all the time so I can import my OVFs as thin disks (since as you know using the vSphere client doesnt support importing as think disks).

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bcarpio
Contributor
Contributor

Bump, any ideas?

0 Kudos
PaulSvirin
Expert
Expert

Welcome to the forums !

What was the VM engine you've exported your machine from?

I have this problem with a VM exported from Virtualbox. It seems that OVF format differs even between ESX 3.5 and 4.0. Thus, have a look at the utility called ovftool.

--- iSCSI SAN software http://www.starwindsoftware.com
0 Kudos
bcarpio
Contributor
Contributor

Actually I exported it using the vSphere Client from an ESXi 4.0 box, I tried to import it back using the Vmware converter to the same ESXi 4.0 host.

0 Kudos
bcarpio
Contributor
Contributor

Any ideas why this happens on SOME OVF templates? I've tried to export the SAME VM from a 4.x ESXi box and tried to import into another ESXi 4.0 box and receive the same error all the time, however it only seems to happen to random VMs... This seems like a bug in the Vmware converter, since I don't have this problem when importing the VM through the vSphere Client.

0 Kudos