VMware Cloud Community
hgoldman
Contributor
Contributor

OS not seeing new vCPU's

This week we went from upgrading from VI 3.5 to vSphere 4. As a part of this I wanted to upgrade some of our XP and Vista VM's to use HW version 7.

I noticed now that it's possible to have 4 vCPU's on both XP and Vista that was previously not possible.

The problem is however that the virtual machines doesn't see the new amount of cpu's. They still say 2 vCPU's and not 4 which is my new setting.

What am I missing here?

Thanks.

Henrik

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Windows XP and Windows Vista is limited to 2cpu:s. That is an OS limitation and not an vSphere limitation.

To get around that you can specify that each vCPU have 2 cores, look in the advanced settings for the VM.

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
hgoldman
Contributor
Contributor

Why does it let me set a cpu count higher then? At least in 3.5 it wasn't allowing me to select more than 2 cpu's for OS's like XP and Vista.

Is this a bug?

Also can you point me to how to change the cores?

0 Kudos
malaysiavm
Expert
Expert

Not so sure about your statement, i did run 2 x Intel Xeon Quad Core workstation on Windows 7 and Vista with 64 bits and it works and show all the CPU cores in place. you should try thew 64 bits edition

Craig

vExpert 2009

Malaysia VMware Communities -

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com
0 Kudos
hgoldman
Contributor
Contributor

64 bit of what? The OS in the VM or the hypervisor?

My XP machine is 32 bit but the Vista machine is 64 bit. The same action on both on them though.

Thanks.

Henrik

0 Kudos