VMware Cloud Community
farokh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OS X Server 10.6 new install

I've been successful in converting some bare metal OS X Server 10.6 machines to VMs under ESXi 5, but I'm having huge issues setting up a new install of 10.6. Everytime I try to boot off an ISO copy of the DVD, it starts to boot and then I get the circle with a slash in the middle of the screen and that's it.

Any ideas on how to make this work?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi farokh,

Do you have access to the original media to try?  It is unfortunately very easy to copy the Mac OS installation media in a way that renders it unbootable in exactly the way you describe.

To make a good copy (or image) of Mac OS installation media, ensure that you select the optical drive name as the source in Disk Utility... Don't select the volume label that appears within/underneath the optical drive, because doing that will create an incomplete copy/image.

Cheers,

--

Darius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi farokh,

Do you have access to the original media to try?  It is unfortunately very easy to copy the Mac OS installation media in a way that renders it unbootable in exactly the way you describe.

To make a good copy (or image) of Mac OS installation media, ensure that you select the optical drive name as the source in Disk Utility... Don't select the volume label that appears within/underneath the optical drive, because doing that will create an incomplete copy/image.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
farokh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I *thought* I had created the image correctly, but apparently not. I did it again making sure to chose the drive, and it worked fine.

Thanks!

0 Kudos