VMware Cloud Community
RobBuxton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not enough space to install HP Upgrade Bundle

Hi All,

I downloaded the 1.1 version of the HP ESXi Upgrade bundle and started to use vihostupdate.pl to apply it.

It's failed with an I/O error (28) and a Not enough space error.

The server is an HP BL495c that has Ethe HP variant of ESX4i loaded onto a USB key.

What I'm trying to do is find out the layout / space used on the USB device. But I can't see how to do that.

Any pointers please?

Posts have suggested /tmp is not correctly defined, but at this point I've no idea how to find out.

The vSphere CLI utility doesn't seem to offer the tools to look. But then I may have missed something.

Many thanks,

Rob.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can look at the disk with the unsupported console.

ALT + F1

type unsupported (no screen echo)

at the password prompt enter the root password.

df -h will show you what space is used on the disks.

ls -l /tmp will show you what is in tmp

If this is an HP factory installed usb do you know what it looks like. HP had problems with early versions, Green case versions need to be replaced.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can look at the disk with the unsupported console.

ALT + F1

type unsupported (no screen echo)

at the password prompt enter the root password.

df -h will show you what space is used on the disks.

ls -l /tmp will show you what is in tmp

If this is an HP factory installed usb do you know what it looks like. HP had problems with early versions, Green case versions need to be replaced.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
RobBuxton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, the Alt-F1 option was the key to getting the info.

We'd been made aware of the USB issue by our HP pre-sales person and we've got the good ones.

It looks like when we used the CD to update the ESXi images (they were 3.5 and we updated to 4) it created a number of partitions.

The main one has a format of visorfs and is 253M and is 90% full. This contains the /tmp directory.

It looks to have created three other partitions that have various components installed, all around 250M to 285M. That equates to just over 1G all up.

Some of these are quite empty. Not quite sure what to do at this point. I don't really want to start messing around with default installs as that tends to add more work further down the track.

But the current set up doesn't work with vihostupdate.

Not sure at this point if once we have Virtual Centre up and running whether it would try and use the same space / process as vihostupdate and would also fail.

cheers,

Rob.

0 Kudos