VMware Cloud Community
dfosbenner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not enough space on boot drive for 6.0->6.5 upgrade

I have an 8GB USB flash drive as the boot device on a host which is running ESXi 6.0.  I booted the 6.5 installer CD (Dell Customized ISO) and after I selected the USB drive for the upgrade location, it couldn't continue, citing a lack of available space.

The host began life running ESXi 5.0, and has been upgraded to 5.1, 5.5, 6.0 over the last 4 years.  I have another identical host at a different site, which is the same age and has had the same upgrade cycle.  I was able to upgrade to 6.5 on that one without a problem.  I've confirmed the host is not using the flash drive as a scratch location.

I need some ideas.  I'm guessing there's some old leftover stuff on the flash drive from prior builds.  Is there a way to investigate & free up space?  Worst case scenario is I replace the flash drive with a larger one and rebuild the host from scratch, but that is a very undesirable option!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The dis space error would me more specific, doesn't its showing any device which is running out of space or warning ?

0 Kudos
Nick_Andreev
Expert
Expert

Quote the exact error you're getting.

---
If you found my answers helpful please consider marking them as helpful or correct.
VCIX-DCV, VCIX-NV, VCAP-CMA | vExpert '16, '17, '18
Blog: http://niktips.wordpress.com | Twitter: @nick_andreev_au
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

could you please attached error log or print screen. 

0 Kudos
dfosbenner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm going to replace the flash drive, I think there's something weird with it that has nothing to do with ESXi.  I was a noob when I set this server up, I vaguely remember making an image copy of the flash drive back then, and this might be a copy.  The image copy tool might have done something with the partitions, like expand them.  In any case, here's the errors I was seeing. Thanks to all who replied.

Drive full.JPG

0 Kudos
Nick_Andreev
Expert
Expert

Your SD card is showing 0 MB available, that is why you're getting a "not enough space" error. Why it's showing 0 MB is another question. Try to reformat it first. Or maybe SD card is just faulty.

---
If you found my answers helpful please consider marking them as helpful or correct.
VCIX-DCV, VCIX-NV, VCAP-CMA | vExpert '16, '17, '18
Blog: http://niktips.wordpress.com | Twitter: @nick_andreev_au
0 Kudos