VMware Cloud Community
ClaudeVM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not able to consolidate snapshot

Hi there,

I have a linux virtual machine on esxi 5.1.

Before any upgrade of my ubuntu yesterday I had took some snapshots manually.

Now I would like to consolidate this snapshots but I'm not able to do it. From the vSphere Client the command seems to be completed but no result. The VM shows some snaphost after 10 hours.

From console:

~ # vim-cmd vmsvc/get.tasklist 3
(ManagedObjectReference) []

How do I solve and consolidate my snapshot so I can proceed with ghettVCB backup that end with errors due to snapshots?

Regards.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
lvaibhavt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Need to ask you couple of questions

• Do you snapshots in the snapshot manager?
  • If no then under virtual machines tab (when you have highlighted a host) is the consoidate option is yes or no?
  • when you can check vm directory from putty do you see any delta file there?
0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Now I would like to consolidate this snapshots but I'm not able to do it. From the vSphere Client the command seems to be completed but no result. The VM shows some snaphost after 10 hours.

whats the result immediately when you check after completing the consolidation?

the snapshot created after 10 hours may be by the backup software.

check the VM folder immediately after completing the consolidation task. It should not have any delta files.

ClaudeVM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi thank's a lot for answering.

Yes, I had done all the snapshot in the snapshot manager.

And yes, I see the delta file in the vm directory.

Please note that I had a snaphost in another VM (a windows 2008) from a broken ghettoVCB backup. At that time the consolidate command from the vSphere client has done his job...

lvaibhavt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

ok; so no snapshots in the snapshot manager .... delta files are there in the vm directory

I guess the consolidate option for the VM will be coming up as yes .....

You have ran the consolidate snapshot button and that has not removed all the delta files -- right ?

If yes then can you try taking a test snapshot and then hit delete all button

ClaudeVM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, not correct. I have the snapshots in the snapshots manager in vSphere client. And I have delta file in the vm directory. Please note attachment.

lvaibhavt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

if you see snapshots in the snapshot manager then hit delete all button >>>> do not go for consolidate snapshot if you see the snapshots

ClaudeVM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Excuse me but I don't understand what you mean.

I see all the snaphosts taken and I would like to consolidate my snapshot to become backup my machine with ghettoVCB that fails due to the presence of other snapshot.

If I delete all the snapshots, do my state change or it simply become my actual state?

And so, do I have to delete all or delete snapshots one by one?

(in previous ESX I had got some problem with delete all).

Regards.

lvaibhavt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

There are two things

Deleting a snapshot >> this means the VM will be current state and will not go back to the previous state. OR the state in which you took the snapshot

Reverting a snapshot >>> this means after taking a snapshot -- the changes you made on the VM are not good and you want to go back to the previous state then you choose a snapshot and revert to it.

If you want the VM in the current state then you can delete all the snapshots together.

For more info on snapshots please refer to

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101518...

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100940...

ClaudeVM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank's a lot... So no problem to delete ALL in ESXi 5.1...

I had some problem with delete all in previous version of esx.

Thank's a lot.

aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The way Delete ALL snapshot work from ESXi 4.0 U2 is differernt from previous release

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind