VMware Cloud Community
Omidius
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not able to access VMware ESXi free version from Ubuntu 20.04

I run Ubuntu 20.04 and Windows 10 pro on a dual-boot computer. When on Ubuntu, I have both tried to access my ESXi server through a browser and through my VMware workstation pro that I have installed on Ubuntu 20.04 but in both cases I am unable to access it. When I try to connect to it using VMware workstation, it tells me a connection to the server could not be established and when I try the same thing from a browser, it is unable to connect. The interesting part is that when I switch to Windows 10, I have no trouble accessing my ESXi server. How is that possible? Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Omidius
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Actually, I was able to resolve the issue.  doing traceroute in Ubuntu, I have noticed that vmware had created a virtual network similar to my subnet for ESXi host but with a different subnet mask.

And somehow the traffic to my ESXi host was redirected through that virtual network.  I modified the parameters of the latter which in turn reestablished the connection to my ESXi host.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Can Ubuntu ping the ESXi host? Does Ubuntu have a firewall configured? Is there a difference between the IP configuration of Ubuntu compared to Windows?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Omidius
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am unable to ping ESXi host, but when I switch to Windows I have no problem pinging it.  Furthermore the firewall is inactive in Ubuntu.  Also, the IP configuration is exactly the same in Ubuntu as in Windows.  Any idea why I have difficulty accessing it through Ubuntu?

0 Kudos
Omidius
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Actually, I was able to resolve the issue.  doing traceroute in Ubuntu, I have noticed that vmware had created a virtual network similar to my subnet for ESXi host but with a different subnet mask.

And somehow the traffic to my ESXi host was redirected through that virtual network.  I modified the parameters of the latter which in turn reestablished the connection to my ESXi host.

0 Kudos