VMware Cloud Community
srikudaravally
Contributor
Contributor

Not able to Upgrade VMware tools on windows server 2008 Enterprise

Hi guys,

I have tried upgrading VMware tools but with no luck.

Could you please guide me the ways to upgrade 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

What kind of error, if any, are you getting?  Does the guest have a CD/DVD Drive installed?  What actions have you taken to try and get the tools upgraded?

0 Kudos
srikudaravally
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried upgrading it from VC level and directly from console, but no luck. I do not get any errors. Yes that machine has got a CD/DVD drive installed.

The machine is continuously reporting for CPU usage. Does that effect the upgrade process.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

try this... Edit Settings of the guest, go to the Options Tab--VMware Tools.  Put a check box next to "Check and upgrade Tools during power cycle".  Wait for the task  reconfigure VM to complete.  Once done, reboot the guest.

If the above doesn't work, login to the guest using the vSphere Console... From there, right click on the guest--Guest--Install/Upgrade VMware Tools.  Does the installer kick offt?  If not, browse the CD/DVD Drive and try to manually execute the installer.

0 Kudos
srikudaravally
Contributor
Contributor

Tried all the ways suggested but no luck yaar Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
mrkanna
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Open the command prompt with Run as Administratrator and Silent install mode.

To perform a silent, non GUI with suppressed reboot VMware Tools installation in a Windows guest operating system:
Run the command:
setup.exe /S /v"/qn REBOOT=R"
Note: The installer might indicate if a reboot is necessary by exiting with ERROR_SUCCESS_REBOOT_REQUIRED.
Alternatively, in vCenter Server, right-click on a virtual machine, click Install/Upgrade VMware Tools, and enter /S /v"/qn REBOOT=R" the Advanced field.
0 Kudos