VMware Cloud Community
akash1980
Contributor
Contributor

Node limitation for MSCS on VMware.

Guys, I am keep reading/ hearing about the limitation of 2 nodes for MSCS cluster on VMware, but I can't find CLEAR VMware statement to clarify this. Can you help me to find it?

I need to justify to management with VMware statement why we can't go with more than 2 nodes in MSCS cluster.

I looked at http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_mscs.pdf and googled for it but no luck.

Cheers..

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Try page 10 of the link you posted.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
akash1980
Contributor
Contributor

This doesn't CLEARLY say but make this statement implies to what I am looking for. ""Table 1-1 lists hardware and software requirements that apply to all vSphere MSCS configurations.""

Can you help me with the reason for not supporting? I did investigate from I would like to hear from experts.

Cheers...

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

For the definitive answer I would contact support.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I can't tell you for sure. However , I assume the limitation is due to the virtual disk/RDM sharing for the cluster disks. Disregarding whether it is supported or not, you may be able to run a MSCS with more than 2 nodes, if you use in guest iSCSI instead of RDMs.

André

0 Kudos
VeyronMick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My understanding that the 2 x node limitation for MSCS is due to thats what Microsoft officially support (not sure if this is still the case).

I have seen MSCS clusters with more then 2 x nodes work properly but if VMware need to open a case with Microsoft for a MSCS issue it needs to be on a configuration that Microsoft will support.

I have never seen an official statement on this either as to why, I got it second hand too.