VMware Cloud Community
alexandru_ilie
Contributor
Contributor

No space on storage.

Hi. I want to describe my scenario and i hope that someone could tell me what i did wrong, because i could not see why there was no more space on the storage.

I have created a vm with 2 partitions, the OS partition 60 GB and the data partition with 650 GB. The storage capacity is  1000 GB.

On that vm i have installed windows 2008 R2 and SQL server 2008 R2. I have created a database and then in that database i have tried to import a backup of a database. The backu file is 460 GB big and it is on an external disk. During the import, about 60 % or 70 % i got error in vSphere 5 that there is no more space on that storage.

There is no more space for virtual disk Host_1-000001.vmdk. You might be able to continue this session by freeing disk space on the relevant volume and clicking retry.

The way i see it this 00001.vmdk was created by vsphere during the import, as a temp file, because i see its gone now. And it was like 300 GB big. How should i set up the datasetore and the vm? Should i have at least 600 GB free on the datastore to make sure that vSphere has enough space to create the temp file?

Thank you.

6 Replies
iw123
Commander
Commander

It sounds as though you have created a snapshot on the virtual machine. If you deleted the snapshot, then copied the data to your virtual machine then it should work ok.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
alexandru_ilie
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. Yes it there was a snapshot. It was a small one, created when the vm was created. Is this the reason why the temporary file was created? I will give it a try. Thank you!

0 Kudos
jrmunday
Commander
Commander

The import won't use any additional storage space, but you will have to account for the swap file - amount of allocated ram minus any reservations.

This 0001.vmdk is probably left over from a snapshot. Do you have any active snapshots on this VM?

vExpert 2014 - 2022 | VCP6-DCV | http://www.jonmunday.net | @JonMunday77
0 Kudos
iw123
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Yes, once you created the snapshot, your data would have been copied into the snapshot file, rather than the VMs disk. When you delete the snapshot the data is merged. If your datastore was 1 TB and your VM is configureed to use 700 GB or so, then after your snapshot, copying 400 GB of data to the VM could fill the datastore.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You may want to take a look at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1015180 for a description on how snapshots work in VMware products.

André

0 Kudos
alexandru_ilie
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. Once the snapshot removed, all was ok. Thank you all for your answers.

Best regards Alex.Smiley Happy

0 Kudos