VMware Cloud Community
Ollfried
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No root-login possible, how to recover

I have four hosts in a lcuster running ESXi4.1. For some reason I cannot login to one of them, the message is "You do not have permission to login to the server". vpxa works fine, I can login to DCUI, but not via ssh, local shell or rcli. Any suggestions? I read about authorizations.xml, but how can I reach that file when I cannot login? Can I do something like "init=/bin/ash" on the boot prompt? Or boot from installation CD and mount the local fiesystem?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Are you able to manage the host from vCenter?  If so then it may be that Lockdown mode is enabled on the host. If you have to recover the root password and can manage the host with vCenter, you can use Host Profiles to reset the root password.  Otherwise you can use this method - http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/Reset_root_password.php.  I would first check Lockdown mode.

0 Kudos
Ollfried
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for your suggestions! I forgot to mention, that lockdown mode is disabled. Host-Profiles might be an Ide, but I only have an enterprise license.

Your link looks interesting, might try that. But if I can backup my configuration with vicfg-cfgbackup I am also willing to reinstall.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You can try a  config backup and then restore.  One of the options in the DCUI is Reset System Configuration which is pretty much the same as running a repair installation.  The problem may persist. What login are you using for the DCUI?

0 Kudos
Ollfried
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I could login to DCUI as root, but not to ssh/shell. I solved it with a host profile: Created profile from server, editied that profile to add an extra user and grant that user permission, logged in as that user and gave root permissions back again. So host profile saved me.

0 Kudos