VMware Cloud Community
Kmorrissey
Contributor
Contributor

No "Remove option" for snapshots

I'm on ESX 5.5 U1 and the latest vsphere client.

VM

|-----Snap3

|            |--------Snap4***(Where I am now)

|

|-----Snap1

|--------Snap2

Someone explained the delete option commits to vmdk and remove does not commit.  But I don't have a remove option.

I just want to purge Snap1 and Snap2 but I'm afraid to hit delete that it might commit... lol

Since Remove is not there and 1 and 2 are not in my current chain I'm assuming they would not be committed. But can someone explain the logic used when deleting snapshots.

2 Replies
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

review this link for good understanding to work with snapshots.

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-4-esx-vcenter/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.vsphere.vmadmin.doc_41/vsp_...

Please refer this,

VMware KB: Working with snapshots

Operations

Snapshot Operation

Effect

TakeThe current state of the virtual machine and its guest operating system is captured.

Revert

The state of the virtual machine and its guest operating system reverts back to what it was when a snapshot was taken. If there are multiple snapshots, the snapshot taken immediately prior to the current state is used.

Warning: All current data is permanently lost.

Delete

The state of the virtual machine is changed to the current state (that is, changes made after taking the snapshot are saved to the parent snapshot disk). In earlier versions of some products the menu option is named Remove.

Delete (Snapshot Manager)

The state of the virtual machine is changed to the current state (that is, changes made after taking the snapshot are saved to the parent snapshot disk). The snapshot chosen to be deleted is available for selection in a graphical display that shows all existing snapshots. This is available only in products that support multiple snapshots.

Go To (Snapshot Manager)

The state of the virtual machine and its current guest operating system switches to the state of that of an arbitrarily chosen snapshot. The snapshot chosen to switch to is available for selection in a graphical display that shows all existing snapshots. This is available only in products that support multiple snapshots.

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
Bharatk
Contributor
Contributor

First go to snap 2 and delete then delete the snap1 which wiil commit to the next snapshot..

0 Kudos