VMware Cloud Community
jbruyet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No prompts for additional drivers on ESXi 4.0 install

Hi, I'm trying to install ESXi 4.0 on an Asus M3N78-VM motherboard. I have two one terabyte WD SATA drives connected to a 3Ware 9650SE RAID controller and configured as a RAID 1 array. I've downloaded the 3Ware driver image and burned it onto a CD. I was advised to use that 3Ware CD when "prompted for additional drivers" during the 4.0 install process but the prompt never appears (and 4.0 never sees the drives). What do I need to do in order to have the prompt show up so I can install the drivers so I can get 4.0 to install?

Thanks,

Joe B

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

There are sperate instructions for esx4i and esx4 on the 3ware site. when using ESX4i you CANNOT use the 3ware controller for installing esx4i onto, it can only be used for secondary vmfs volumes (mainly because you can only add the drivers AFTER esx4i is installed.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
danm66
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

ESXi doesn't prompt for drivers during install. ESX does, though. Are there any other instructions for installing the drivers post-install?

0 Kudos
Kasraeian
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you are using ESXi 4.0 you wouldn't get that prompt, this feature is only available in ESX 4.0.

There is other way to install your driver in ESXi 4.0.

You can find more information about custom driver and their installation on ESXi 4.0 here.

what driver do you have in that CD? what is their extensions? (*.o *,driver *.tgz or .....)

• IMPORTANT: Importing custom driver to ESXi using the Alt+F1 and .... instruction, without checking it with support, may cancel of affect your Support. **

-= If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" =-

-= If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! =-

-= Thanks =-

MCTS, VCP

If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! Sohrab Kasraeianfard | http://www.kasraeian.com | @Kasraeian
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

There are sperate instructions for esx4i and esx4 on the 3ware site. when using ESX4i you CANNOT use the 3ware controller for installing esx4i onto, it can only be used for secondary vmfs volumes (mainly because you can only add the drivers AFTER esx4i is installed.

0 Kudos