VMware Cloud Community
jranney
Contributor
Contributor

No network connectivity after moving virtual machine

Hopefully this is easy for somebody, but I can't seem to figure it out. I moved a virtual machine from one datastore to another but I now do not have any network connectivity for that virtual machine. The datastore is on the same server, it's just another RAID with more appropriate storage. Can anybody point me in the right direction? I've been fussing with this for 5 hours now.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
markvor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did ypu mgrate it va converter or simply copied ist via datastore browser?

Is the VM on the same Host ?

How is the network configuration in your vm DHCP/Static

Try to reconfgure the VM and check that the Connect Ceck Box s set in the VM Settngs

Carpe Diem

Markus Vorderer

0 Kudos
jranney
Contributor
Contributor

I'll answer in order...

1. I guess I used the datastore browser "configuration > storage > datastore > etc "

2. It is on the same host

3. network config on VM is static

4. by reconfigure, do you mean to go into "edit settings" and check the network settings while the machine is off? I've done that. I was also able to make a new vm using the virtual disk and it had the same problem. This would make me believe that it has to do with the vm's os but it wasn't modified at all (at least not purposefully)

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Hi,

Are you using static or static DHCP IP addresses (reservations)?

Is it possible that you had a DHCP reservation for the orignial VM and when you moved it you re-imported it and it got a new IP address?

Are you sure that the IP assigned to the VM (or the hostname) is not already in use on the network?

Seeing as you have already checked that it is connected under edit settings - it is worth using the network selection dropdown and changing to a different network then back, then logginf back onto your VM.

If you can see the NIC in your VM, then you need to try troubleshooting from inside the OS (provided you have done the above)

Good luck

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos