VMware Cloud Community
Kwangwon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No network adapters were detected.

11535_11535.jpg

Since I had troubles for configuring passthrough, I had changed server, and I met other problems.. Installing ESX4.0 by graphical mode is unable, and when I select Graphical one, text mode was just started. When I selected text mode, server was stopped. Anyway, after choosing graphical mode and went through text mode, another obstacle came up. after "loading system driver" errror script 34, storage-drivers failed to execute, that screenshot and choosing 1) Reboot, the server stopped again. I do have network adapter in that server. What's the problem? and how can I solve it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Arshad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What is the specification of the machine, and which network card is in the machine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The problem might be, that your network adapter is not supported by VMware. Check http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?action=base&deviceCategory=server for compatibility and install ESX only on certified Hardware.

Regards

Arshad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What is the specification of the machine, and which network card is in the machine.

0 Kudos
taylorb
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I agree with the above. Check the compatibility list for the NIC that is contained in your server. Really though, any system that is on the support list will have support for its embedded NIC(s) so I would also check to see if your system is on the list. You may run into more errors down the road.

Dosdet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have this same problem with my installation of ESXi 5.0.  It says "no network adapters were detected ..." but my machine is a new a new Dell R720 with 4 built-in adapters and both the server and the NICs are on the compatibility list. I have connected one port to the network, in case it wanted an active connection.  I also tried giving that port a static IP address within the System Setup and I still can't get past the message.

What can I do?

0 Kudos
Reejobs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi ,

Hope you have updated the hardware with latest drivers. Make sure you have choosen first NIC for installation. Have you gone through the ESX _Install.log file for errors  ?

Thanks

Ree.

0 Kudos
Dosdet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There is no log.  It doesn't get that far.  The drives have not been formatted yet - there is nowhere to put them.

Another person suggested downloading the VMware ESXi 5 ISO from Dell so I am downloading that now.

Very frustrating to not even be able to install when WMWare lists everything as compatible - what good does checking the lists do?

I always update drivers as soon as the installs finish anyway.

0 Kudos
taylorb
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Have you verified settings for the embedded NICs in the BIOS? Is there something there that is disabling them or putting them in a different mode?

Unlikely, but worth a check.

0 Kudos
Dosdet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I verified the bios settings.  I also found the answer. Dell has VMWare 5.0 ISO images on their site that are tailored for their servers.  (I found this fact from another post on this forum.)  I was able to download this image and it installed flawlessly!

Thanks for all the responses.  Even though I have been using VMWare for a few years, it has run so well that I haven't had to dig into it (technically) very much.  I really appreciate help from the experts.

Deon

0 Kudos
goodvikings
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Heya Dosdet

I have that exact same problem, with the exact same machine. I don't suppose you could tell me what the ISO you got from dell was? Such as the md5/sha1 hash or something?

Cheers

0 Kudos
ramanjaneyaredd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Guys....!

I was able to resolve this after installing an Intel ethernet card (Intel Pro/1000 MT  Desktop Adapter). This is the most easiest way i found as a normal computer user. This worked for me with Intel 945GCPE borad, E5400 Dual Core processor and Add on Network card.

Everything is up n running excellent.