VMware Cloud Community
amishera
Contributor
Contributor

No matching bulletin of vib found

Hi,

I am just wondering about the significance of this message. First, I install the custom driver from the iso file (I suppose it took from the offline-bundle.zip) during OS installation. Next, after OS installation, I tried to install the vib file inside the offline bundle.zip.

esxupdate -b xxx.vib update

Then it shows the above error message. But then again if I want to install the offline bundle using

esxupdate --bundle=offline-bundle.zip update

it shows the following

Skipping bulletin xxx; it is installed or obsoleted.

What is going on here? Why is it giving the peculiar message in the first case?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
krishnaprasad
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

can you check the output of 'esxupdate query' command on your system (right after first boot after install ) and see if the offline bundle is already installed?

The error message means the VIB that you try to install doesnt match the pre-requisites ( for eg/- you might be trying to install a VIB ( compatible for ESXi 4.0.x ) on ESX 4.x system. Then this error can be seen.

what's the ESX version that you use? Also you can see platforms.xml in the metadata.zip inside the offline bundle to see the versions mentioned there.

0 Kudos
amishera
Contributor
Contributor

The command returns the bulletin as was also confirmed by the "esxupdate -b command" I mentioned. I jsut wanted to know what are the things that are going on behind the scene.

0 Kudos
amishera
Contributor
Contributor

May be because this particular vib needs the metadata which is there along with the vib inside the offline-bundle.zip. But sometimes there are vib files which can be installed without metadata.zip. This thing is surely puzzling.

0 Kudos
krishnaprasad
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

provide the following information:-

1. What;s the ESX/ESXi version do you use? ( provide vmware -v ) command

2. Could you post the VIB here?

3. Post the vmware.xml and platforms.xml files from offline-bundle.zip --> metadata.zip file