VMware Cloud Community
gernazdasch
Contributor
Contributor

No internet connection

Hello.

I am using ESXi 6.7 and i don't have internet connection on my VM. My virtual switch looks like this :

Screenshot 2022-06-03 at 17-41-11 ne-r051-235cl - VMware ESXi.png

And i tried to configure VM with this static ip :

Screenshot 2022-06-03 at 17-43-05 ne-r051-235cl - VMware ESXi.png

What is wrong? Static IP configuration is ok?

Screenshot 2022-06-03 at 17-45-39 ne-r051-235cl - VMware ESXi.png

Screenshot 2022-06-03 at 17-45-58 ne-r051-235cl - VMware ESXi.png

Right now the VM is connected to network3 (which is not a VMKernel):Screenshot 2022-06-03 at 17-47-26 ne-r051-235cl - VMware ESXi.png

I also tried VM Network, same thing.

Screenshot 2022-06-03 at 17-58-11 ne-r051-235cl - VMware ESXi.png

This is the Adapter Type i use. What would be the recommended one?

Where can be the problem?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

the vm default gateway points to a vmkernelport (vmk2) which is also in a different vlan - that cannot work.

0 Kudos
gernazdasch
Contributor
Contributor

Then how should i configure in windows VM ? I don't know in what subnet the VM might be.

0 Kudos
alantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You need to look at whatever device upstream is providing your routing.

--Alan--

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Why have you set the default gateway of the Windows OS to be the IP address of the VMkernel port vmk2, which is in VLAN 5?

Which VM is the console of - test1 or test2_win? Either way, those VMs are in different VLANs to vmk2, even if you could use the VMkernel as a router (which you can't)

Your setup is a bit of a mess...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
gernazdasch
Contributor
Contributor

Why have you set the default gateway of the Windows OS to be the IP address of the VMkernel port vmk2, which is in VLAN 5

I tried a lot of them, i don't know in what subnet my VM is.

Which VM is the console of - test1 or test2_win? Either way, those VMs are in different VLANs to vmk2, even if you could use the VMkernel as a router (which you can't)

i work on test2_win, yes VMkernel cant be used, no matter what

Your setup is a bit of a mess...

I just created new networks, because on "VM Network" i don't have internet either, what can i do?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You need to understand which broadcast domain (and therefore IP subnet) is accessible to the network cards in your physical server, and how internet access is obtained from that network (or networks)

If you can’t work that out, nobody here is going to be able to say definitively what you need to do.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos