VMware Cloud Community
Lophole1
Contributor
Contributor

No internet connection "Ethernet 0 doesn't have a valid ip configuration"

Hey, I've been trying to solve this problem for so long but the solutions I found didn't work.

I have a dedicated server, I also have VMWare ESXi 7.0 installed on it, I added a virtual machine, installed Windows 10 on it, also installed the VM tools and I don't have any internet connection. (DHCP is enabled)

What I'm seeing:
https://imgur.com/a/DHocHbj - 5 pictures in there (blanked some stuff that I thought needed to be)

I am a real noob with this
Please help, thank you.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Lophole1 

Where is your DHCP server in relation to vmnic0 on vSwitch0?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Lophole1
Contributor
Contributor

I have no idea what that means, please clarify

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> I have no idea what that means, please clarify

You mentioned that DHCP is enabled on the Windows 10 client, but your screenshot do not show a DHCP server. So where would the client get a DHCP lease from?

André

0 Kudos
Lophole1
Contributor
Contributor

I'm sorry I just checked again and I was wrong, I attached another picture

What do you recommend? Thanks for the help.

I also tried using manual IP settings for the internet connection but still won't work

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You are mixing uo the host (ESXi) and the client (Windows 10).
Both of them (i.e. the host, and each VM) need their own valid IP address.

André

0 Kudos
Lophole1
Contributor
Contributor

I see. I only have 1 usable IP from my dedicated servers company (Psyhcz Networks), so do I need to get another usable IP? (meaning I'll have to pay like a few more bucks)

0 Kudos
dory_fish
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure if it helps, but I recently had the same problem on VMware Workstation 15.

The problem was that the virtual machine used wrong physical network adapter of the host machine for a bridged connection. In VMware Workstation, it can be solved in Virtual Network Editor window which is accessed from the menu. As an admin, you click on Change Settings button, then you're able to see the bridged connection, and manually select the adapter for the bridge.

I don't exactly know how to set up this in ESXi, but that might be one possible issue that you can think of and check it out if it's set up correctly for your VM (does the VM use the proper physical adapter for a bridged connection).

0 Kudos