VMware Cloud Community
Antoriik
Contributor
Contributor

No internet access on my VM

Hi,

Well, i installed a windows VM on my EXSi. The EXSi is running on a dedicated server, and i don't have internet access on my VM. I don't understand why, and i don't know what to do. I tried a lot of things but nothing work.. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Nobody here will know if the network you have your VMs connected to has internet access, or any other particular kind of access.

What CAN the VM OSes access?

How do you have your virtual switches, uplinks, and port groups setup?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Antoriik
Contributor
Contributor

It looks like this

a_p__0-1629043864387.png

I'm using VM Network on my VM.

Antoriik_1-1629038908558.png

Edited by moderator: Grayed out the ESXi host's public IP address.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Assuming that you don't have a DHCP server available, did you assign fixed IP settings to the Windows 10 VM? The Win10 VM - like the ESXi host itself - needs it's own dedicated IP address in order to access the network.

André

0 Kudos
Antoriik
Contributor
Contributor

I'm learning at the moment, i don't know how to do this. Can you explain me ? Why do i need to do this ? 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

From a technical point of view, you need an IP address from your provider for each system (physical, or virtual) that needs direct access to the Internet.

From a security point of view, what you are doing (or trying to to) is risky. Everyone in the world can try to hack systems which are directly connected to the Internet!

André

0 Kudos
Antoriik
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, but the host has access to internet. I have a physical IP to connect to manage de EXSi. So what can i do with it ? Everything is not on my personnal computer. 
When i'm using Workstation and doing the same installation on my personnal computer, everything works fine, and i have internet access. 
I'll not have personnal data on these VM so security is not a problem 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The reason why things work on your PC is that it's most likely connected to an Internet router, which is the only system with direct Internet access, and which which takes care of providing "internal "IP addresses, and Internet access for the internal systems.

With just one single IP address, you can run one single system with Internet access. You'd need at least another IP address for your VM. In case you want to deploy more than one VM with Internet access, you either need additional IP addresses for them, or deploy/use e.g. a virtual router/firewall.

André

0 Kudos
Antoriik
Contributor
Contributor

Ok i understand now. So, how can i process ton install virtual firewall/router ? Or get another IP adress ? 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> Or get another IP adress ?
Ask your provider for a secondary IP address that you can use for a virtual machine on the ESXi host.

>>> So, how can i process ton install virtual firewall/router ?
A virtual router/firewall (e.g. pfSense) can be deployed on the ESXi host like other VMs. You may confiure it with 2 virtual NICs (WAN and LAN) where the WAN port gets the public IP address, and is connected to a vSwitch with internet access, and the LAN port will be connected to an additional "internal only" virtual switch (i.e. no physical uplinks) to which you will then also connect your other VMs.
Please see the pfSense documentation for details.

André

0 Kudos