VMware Cloud Community
jordyvc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No internet acces on Virtual Machine

Hey,

I have a problem, I don't have internet access on my virtual machine. I tried to install Ubuntu as guest OS on it, but I don't have an internet connection..

[img]http://files.sa-mp.im/uploads/c8cc2-1-e5.png[/img]

[img]http://files.sa-mp.im/uploads/c8cc2-2-11.png[/img]

Does someone knows a solution how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Jordy.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tomtom901
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Go into the network settings of the Ubuntu VM and configure the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and DNS servers. Then you should have internet access.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
jonathanjabez
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Firstly you would need to check the network label for the network adapter and the VM Network port group has a proper uplink (vmnic) from the host so that, it makes an external connection.

More troubleshooting tips:

VMware KB: Troubleshooting virtual machine network connection issues

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello,

What is the adapter type you using,.? e1000 or vmxnet3.? try changing the adapter type and update your VMware tools or consider re-installing the VMware tools.

Thanks,
Avinash

0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Stupid question perhaps, but is the vNIC connected?

Screen Shot 2013-11-26 at 19.36.45.png

Also, did you configure a static IP or is DHCP available on the network?

0 Kudos
jordyvc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm using E1000.

And tomtom910, yes I did that.

jonathanjabez, I will read the documentation, thanks!

0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

And did you configure a static IP? I see your ESXi host's VMkernel port is a public IP, and I can ping it, so the network connectivity seems fine. E1000 should pop up onder most OS'es without the need for drivers.

jordyvc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did not configure a static IP, do I have to do that?

0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Unless there is DHCP available on the netwerk, yes. Your VM and your ESXi host share the same uplink, but they are both devices on the netwerk, and therefore need seperate IP addresses. You can't share the IP address of the ESXi host.

jordyvc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the following IP's from my hoster:

208.110.73.66/70, actually I want that the virtual machine gets IP 208.110.73.67. How can I do that?

0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Go into the network settings of the Ubuntu VM and configure the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and DNS servers. Then you should have internet access.

jordyvc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's working, thanks to everyone who helped!

ittvn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey friend, you can refer to a tutorial here, it have a three way for VmWare Workstation connect Internet (Brigde, NAT and Host Only), can watch now in 8:35', Link Hướng dẫn kết nối Internet (kết nối mạng) cho máy ảo VMware Workstation - YouTube

0 Kudos