VMware Cloud Community
magic101
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No guest network connectivity

Hi,

I'm definitely a newbie so please bear with me.

I have just completed a fresh install of ESXi 4. The host server has 1 NIC to which I've assigned a static ip address: 10.10.10.101 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0)

I have installed 2 virtual machines. One Windows 2008 with static ip address: 10.10.10.102 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) and one windows 2003 server with a static ip address: 10.10.10.103 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0)

The ESXi server NIC is connected to a switch to which I have also connected one other PC running windows XP (ip address 10.10.10.2 subnet mask 255.255.255.0) On this machine I am running my VSphere client.

OK here is my problem:

From my XP machine I can ping the ESXi host NIC but I get no reply from the NICs on the virtual machines. When I log in to each of the virtual machines I can only ping the ESXi host NIC. I can not ping the XP machine or the other guest. So bacically everything can ping the physical adapter on the ESXi host but thats about it. Virtual Machines can not ping each other and nor can they ping any other physical machines on the network.

My install is completely standard accepting all the defaults. One virtual switch, a "VM Network" containing my two virtual machines, a "Manangment Network" and a "Physical Adapter".

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. If you need any other information just let me know.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dsoltesz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Magic,

First start by loggin onto on of the virtual machines and seeing if either can ping the other virtual machine. I know you have listed that everything can ping the ESXi hosts adapter, but the two VMs on the same virtual switch should be able to reach each other first and foremost.

If they can not ping each other, but they can ping the ESXi host, I suspect that you have the Windows Firewall on. You can disable this either in Control Panel or by going to services and stoping the Windows Firewall Service.

Once you can get the VMs to ping each other and the ESXi host, then you can test network connectivity outside of the ESXi host. Again the XP machine may also have a firewall, so if you have DNS server, Default gateway, or something like www.google.com may be a better test.

Hope this helps.

Doug

www.phdvirtual.com, makers of esXpress

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Network troubleshooting is no different in the virtual world. Most likely a typo or a missing gateway?

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
magic101
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Have to admin knowledge of networks is at best basic. This is an isolated lab environment. Just these two physical machines connected to a hub. I have not made a gateway entry in any of the virtual or physical ip configurations. Is this required?

0 Kudos
dsoltesz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Magic,

First start by loggin onto on of the virtual machines and seeing if either can ping the other virtual machine. I know you have listed that everything can ping the ESXi hosts adapter, but the two VMs on the same virtual switch should be able to reach each other first and foremost.

If they can not ping each other, but they can ping the ESXi host, I suspect that you have the Windows Firewall on. You can disable this either in Control Panel or by going to services and stoping the Windows Firewall Service.

Once you can get the VMs to ping each other and the ESXi host, then you can test network connectivity outside of the ESXi host. Again the XP machine may also have a firewall, so if you have DNS server, Default gateway, or something like www.google.com may be a better test.

Hope this helps.

Doug

www.phdvirtual.com, makers of esXpress

0 Kudos
magic101
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Doug, you got it in one! It was down to the Windows Firewall being enabled on the 2008 VM and my XP machine and not a mysterious problem with ESXi after all.

One point of interest for both of us; it seems stopping the service will not suffice, you really need to go to the Control Panel and turn off the firewall there.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos