VMware Cloud Community
amishera
Contributor
Contributor

No display for RHEL VM

Hi,

I am having this problem. When I power up the RHEL 5 VM I currently have, the booting goes on (which can be seen), and when the time comes for it to show the desktop, the whole screen gets black. I waited for a while (like 10 minutes) still nothing is going on. The other VM (Windows) works fine. I tried to restart the VM several times (even with server restart) but still there is no display of the VM. Tried to open it in separate console - same thing is going on. And it worked before. It is just not working today all on a sudden.

What could be the reason? How to find out the source of the problem?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

this is a long shot, but worth a try.  Can you click your mouse inside the console and move it around?  While the mouse is inside the active console also hit your space bar.  With our non GUI Linux Guests sometimes it appears to be a blank screen but slight movement wakes up the console.

0 Kudos
amishera
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah I already did that. In fact this is my favorite activity. Once I click the mouse the cursor sinks into the blackhole. Now I initiated the shutdown from vsphere and the screen shows all the texts (shutting down blah blah). And the OS is a GUI OS.

0 Kudos
amishera
Contributor
Contributor

Now even the CentOS VM is having the same problem. In fact all the Linux VMs are behaving this strangely.

0 Kudos
iw123
Commander
Commander

Are the VM tools installed in each? Are other OSs working ok?

Try running the client on a different machine to rule out it being a problem with your client install.

From a linux point of view you could change the boot options to set it to run in single user mode to prevent xserver running automatically, then have a look at the logs.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos