VMware Cloud Community
asand
Contributor
Contributor

No disks are showing under installation of esxi 6.5 on a new Dell R630 server

Hi!

I'm struggling a bit to install esxi on a new Dell server. I have not ordered the preinstalled version which usually is shipped using the SD card module.

I am trying to install esxi on the disks using the provided Dell images containing additional drivers.  I have tried at least three versions of the Dell image using different installation mediums with the same results.

The box is set up with the preinstalled RAID 5 setup on a PERC H730 controller. I have noticed that when I try to set up the RAID myself, I cannot choose other blocksizes than 4k, which seems to cause some troubles for the vmware software (KB: 2091600). According to Dell support, this should not be a problem.

All of the hardware drivers should be up to date, at least BIOS and RAID.

As a sidenote the esxi installer for version 6.0 could see the disks under the remote section, but crashed immediately after selecting disks for installation.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Let me know if I can provide more information.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Harishtoy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Which installation image you are using to install VMware's or Dell customized ?

Dell customized image will have all required drivers as perc h730 controller card is old one.

0 Kudos
asand
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried both the image from VMWare, and also three different versions of the Dell image.

The following images has been tried:

VMware-VMvisor-Installer-6.5.0-5310538.x86_64-DellEMC_Customized-A04

VMware-VMvisor-Installer-6.5.0-4564106.x86_64-Dell_Customized-A00

VMware-VMvisor-Installer-6.0.0-2809209.x86_64-Dell_Customized-A01

VMware-VMvisor-Installer-201701001-4887370.x86_64 -> this one is 6.5 from VMWares website.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Make sure that the disks are not partitioned, blow away any partitions already on there before trying to install.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
rmurak
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

In esxi 6.5 4k blocks are not supported yet

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

What disks are installed in your host? can you share their part number or model?

As well, can you post a screenshot where you try to choose block size as you wrote 'cannot choose other blocksizes than 4k' ?

0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

Hi ,

Reconfigure the Raid and try to install ESXi 6.5 , use below custom ISO images / Drivers required

Refer #  Raid Configuration http://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/poweredge-rc-h730p_user

Dell Custom ISO 

Refer For Drivers

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos