VMware Cloud Community
bill012
Contributor
Contributor

No audio on host from guest vm

I've searched high and low for this question, but either the answers don't work, or the resource is very old, or they talk about RDP - which does not apply in my case.

I'm running ESXi 6 on ASUS M4A77TD motherboard. Everything is running perfectly - both Linux and Windows (7 and 2012) guests are operating fine. Even the HDAudio device is picked up and the guests appear to be playing sound through the mixer. However I cannot hear anything from the speakers attached to the host.

I've run

vmkchdev -l | grep 4397

on the host (SSH) and it shows the following

0000:00:12.0 1002:4397 1043:8389 vmkernel

0000:00:13.0 1002:4397 1043:8389 vmkernel

suggesting that the audio device (id: 4397) is detected and installed.

Even running

esxcfg-info | less

and searching for

/4397

shows that the PCI device is there and recognized as the AMD south bridge.

So if everything is supposedly looking OK, why is there no sound coming out of the speaker.

As a background, the current setup (machine and speakers) were operating fine with Windows as the host and guests running inside vmware workstation as shared vms - I had sound just hours ago. Yet the ESXi installation gives no sound on the same setup. Please help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JarryG
Expert
Expert

I'm not sure you can pass-through audio-ports of your on-board/southbridge sound chip. I think you need add-on pcie sound-card...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
bill012
Contributor
Contributor

Perhaps I'm confused, but is it not possible for ESXi to treat the audio device like a general-purpose OS treats the audio device and mixes the output from various VMs, instead of a passthrough to a specific vm.

0 Kudos