On PSOD no VMKernel Dump File is written to disk and no message is written to screen (the screen is either blank or full of dashes). I need this data to understand why the system crashes; any help as to how to fix this to write a dump file would be appreciated. Thanks.
1. VMKCore partition exists, is active, and is configured (esxcfg-dumppart -l).
2. esxcfg-advcfg -g /Misc/PsodOnCosPanic = 1.
3. esxcfg-advcfg -g /Misc/CosCoreFile = /var/core.
4. esxcfg-dumppart -C -D /vmfs/devices/disks/<identifier> = "Error running command. Unable to copy the dump partition: Couldn't find a valid VMKernel dump file. Dump partition might be uninitialized."
5. Hardware diagnostics (Dell) checks okay.
VMWare ESXi 4.1.0 (VMKernel Release Build 320137)
Dell Inc. Optiplex 960 (2 Drives)
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9400 2.66GHz
2 Virtual Machines: Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition SP2 (1 on each drive)
VM 1: Executes Batch Jobs (Has Internet Information Services 6)
VM 2: Database Server (Has SQL Server 2000)
Thank you for the response but I have tried this knowledge base article before. I am able to view /var/log/messages but not the vmkernal dump file because one is not created. Also, I do have a VMKCore partition w/valid settings. Am I missing something? Thanks again.