VMware Cloud Community
Exill1
Contributor
Contributor

No USB 3.0 on ESXi 6?

Hello eveyone

I have come across something that makes no sense to me at all.

I got a Gigabyte GB-BXi7-4770R and when I install Windows 8.1 or Debian 7 directly on the device, I can utilize the full USB 3.0 speed via testing on a very fast USB drive.

But when I install ESXi 6.0.0 on it, it will only run at USB 2 speeds, which have me even more confused, since the brix only have USB 3.0 ports and no USB 2 ports.

On a windows guest, I add the xHCI controller, and see that it appears in the device manager as a xHCI usb 3.0 controller. But when I then connect the USB device to the USB 3.0 port on my brix, and then add it to the virtual machine as a USB device, it only connects to a USB 2 hub on the guest. The same problem is on Debian, and when I do a "lsusb" and a "lsusb -t" I get the following that looks at lot like the same in Windows:

frands@Exill-OMV:/$ sudo lsusb

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0e0f:0003 VMware, Inc. Virtual Mouse

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 174c:55aa ASMedia Technology Inc.

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0e0f:0002 VMware, Inc. Virtual USB Hub

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0e0f:0002 VMware, Inc. Virtual USB Hub

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 152d:0567 JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp.

frands@Exill-OMV:/$ sudo lsusb -t

/:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, class="root_hub", Driver=xhci_hcd/4p, 5000M

/:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, class="root_hub", Driver=xhci_hcd/4p, 480M

|__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, class="HID", Driver=usbhid, 12M

|__ Port 2: Dev 3, If 0, class="stor"., Driver=usb-storage, 480M

|__ Port 3: Dev 4, If 0, class="hub", Driver=hub/7p, 480M

|__ Port 1: Dev 6, If 0, class="stor"., Driver=usb-storage, 480M

|__ Port 4: Dev 5, If 0, class="hub", Driver=hub/7p, 480M

What is more confusing, is when I configure Passtrough and select all the USB controllers on the list and connect them to the guest system, it shows up as USB 2 controllers.
I have found out that the controller that’s being used by Intel is an, Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver for Intel® 8/9 Series and C220/C610 Chipset Family.
On the ESXi it shows up as a Intel Corporation Lynx Point USB Enchanted Host Controller #1 and #2

Can it really be posseble that ESXi dosen't support Intel USB 3.0 controllers?
What can the problem be and is there a way for me to add the driver using the ESXi customizer so I can use the full USB 3.0 speed?

4 Replies
David_Y
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sure.  Built a driver and install it into a customized version.  Good luck and share the information.  Other than that,  ESXi really doesn't have a need for super fast USB, that's more of a desktop computer thing (like you're running it on)

Exill1
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not the best programmer, but I will give it a try.

0 Kudos
rdgilbert
Contributor
Contributor

Any luck?

I'm seeing the same thing happen in my Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS VM. Device only connects to the USB2 bus.

0 Kudos
Exill1
Contributor
Contributor

No luck. The BRIX died on me 2 weeks after and the repair shop have had the device for 30 days they just gave me the money bac

So I won't be able to produce a answer. Sorry Smiley Sad

0 Kudos