VMware Cloud Community
Guardian1234
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No OpenSSH ssh_config file on ESXi 5?

I see the sshd_config file.

As ESXi 5 uses OpenSSH, shouldn't there also be a default config file for the client (ssh_config), or does one just need to be created?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I just tried to create a ssh_config and it seems to be used - but it does not survive a reboot.
So to use one you would have to make preparations to make it stick during reboots

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

did you check /etc/ssh

0 Kudos
Guardian1234
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, that is where the sshd_config file is.

My questions stems from the fact that on other UNIX or UNIX-like systems using OpenSSH, BOTH files are present. In this case, only the daemon file (ssh"d"_config) is present.

0 Kudos
Guardian1234
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Troy apparently doesn't have the answer to this question.

Could SOMEone/ANYone PLEASE answer this?

Is there an ssh_config file, or not, AND does the openssh client, as installed on ESXi-5, support the use of an ssh_config file?

If so, do you simply have to create one?

Thx.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I guess my question back to you would be, what is it you are trying to accomplish?

0 Kudos
Guardian1234
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In the quest for higher and higher levels of security, management wants all bases coverd.

For instance, with the SSHD (daemon, to accept SSH connections from a remote machine), you have a config file that governs the behavior of the daemon, including MACs, etc.

For the SSH (client, to SSH "from" the ESXi server to some other remote machine), there is no configuration file, as delivered, to govern the client's behavior.

I'm wondering whether or not this version of OpenSSH that's included w/ESXi 5, requires that the client rely on the settings in the sshd_config. That is definitely not the case with "all" other OpenSSH installs that I am familiar with. There is always a ssh_config file AND an sshd_config file.

Or is it required that an ssh_config (client) file be created by the SA? Or is there "some" other means, IE: each user has to have an ssh_config (or .ssh_config, etc)  file in their home directory?

So, in my case, the file "ssh_config" was not created during the install. Is it supposed to exist? Is it required? Can it be created and populated with Keyword and Keyword_Value pairs? Or is it just not required, not used, and not possible to use even if it is created in "/etc/ssh" (or anywhere else) by the SA?

ESXi is just plain and simple, an extremely, poorly documented, platform. Regardless of the fact that it is deemed a hypervisor by the vendor, the public at large, does not see it this way. Honestly, I've seen Radio Shack Color Computer 2 documentation that was light years ahead of what VMware has for ESXi5. And it especially doesn't help that Busybox is not documented by (at least) some online man pages. I understand the need for a small footprint, but that doesn't excuse the lack of a centralized, online, documentation repository. This lab/sandbox project I'm working has really left a bad taste for me. So much so, I'm already on record at my aerospace firm as giving vSphere the thumbs-down.

Anyway, thanks for any useful info you might have to offer.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I just tried to create a ssh_config and it seems to be used - but it does not survive a reboot.
So to use one you would have to make preparations to make it stick during reboots

0 Kudos
Guardian1234
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great. Basically, it needs to persist, so I'm guessing that the sticky bit needs to be set (to begin with).

But do you see my point about "documentation"? There's nothing that documents this file's existence/non-existence/usefulnes, or the extent to which the behavior can be controlled by keywords. So, basically assume (and set) all keywords per the generic OpenSSH man page, attempt to use ssh to connect to a machine remote to the ESXi server and "see" what (if anything) the ssh client complains about...

Thx.

0 Kudos