VMware Cloud Community
StanosHerkanor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No Migrate Option in Vsphere Client

I am connected directly to an ESXI 5.1 host using Vsphere Client, I have local storage and iscsi. I am trying to move a thick provisioned VM from local storage to a thin provisioned vm on iscsi. However with the vm powered off the server has no migrate option when right clicking on the vm. Is this a licensed feature?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GFK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Like Linjo says, is it a vCenter feature. You will have to use vmkfstools –i (location of VM Server) (location to put VM Server) from a ssh session, this will copy the vmdk fil only. Then you will have to copy the .vmx fil with the cp command. Also you can use the "move to" from the datastore browser. Remember to have a solid backup first! 🙂

Gert Kjerslev | If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This is a vCenter feature.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
GFK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Like Linjo says, is it a vCenter feature. You will have to use vmkfstools –i (location of VM Server) (location to put VM Server) from a ssh session, this will copy the vmdk fil only. Then you will have to copy the .vmx fil with the cp command. Also you can use the "move to" from the datastore browser. Remember to have a solid backup first! 🙂

Gert Kjerslev | If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos