VMware Cloud Community
kevindd992002
Contributor
Contributor

No Mac OSX 10.11 support on ESXi 6.0 B3247720

I have a standalone ESXi server (no vCenter) and I manage it either through vSphere wweb client or VMWare Workstation 12 (remote connection to server). I usually create my VM's through VMWare Workstation as that is the closest I can get to a vSpher web client with updated features. I'm trying to create a MAC OS X 10.11 El Capitan image but when the latest OS X version I can pick off of the list is 10.10.

Based on the documentation of VMWare ESXi, OS X 10.11 is supported since the base version of 6.0. Any ideas why? Or is this because I really need a vSphere web client?

9 Replies
kevindd992002
Contributor
Contributor

Also, if the MAC OS X is natively supported by ESXi then what is the use of this hack: [removed] ? It does say that it is for ESXi 6.0.

edit by wila‌ Removed link as it is not allowed to post links to content that help you get around copy protection / pirating software.

0 Kudos
kevindd992002
Contributor
Contributor

BUMP! Anyone here?

0 Kudos
HawkieMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You are using a unlocked hack to allow for macosx, its not native to workstation. The licensing from Apple says you can create those on apple HW, and that would mean you must run it on apple, with Fusion. The list you have is defined in the hack,and this is NOT a vmware forum issue. If you where running Fusion and could not select then it was another issue all together.

There is no real issue for vmware to run apple, but this is a licensing constraint, so please do not even think about doing this on a commercial system or for work purposes.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi HawkieMan‌,

That's almost correct.

He talks about ESXi which actually is allowed to run OS X, but only if the underlying hardware is apple hardware.

As OP did not mention he's using non apple hardware, for the moment I give him the benefit of the doubt.

As for the OP, yes you might need the web client for that. VMware Workstation itself normally does not give you OS X client settings at all (as it is under no circumstance allowed to run OS X natively under Workstation)

Although I would expect it to work if you set the guest OS to 10.10 instead of 10.11

Edit: As an additional note to the OP, if you want to try and run OS X on non apple hardware then we are not allowed to help you in this forum.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
HawkieMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

He refers directly to vmware workstation in his quesion, so I assume with almost 99,9% certainty that he is not running on apple HW.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

He refers to using workstation as a feature to remote install, not for local. He is using it as an alternative vSphere Client.

That by itself is fine.

You are correct that you cannot use Workstation to install OS X locally.

That's not even allowed when running running from an OS X bootcamp partition.

The hack the OP refers to is also not allowed, which is why I removed the link.

-

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
kevindd992002
Contributor
Contributor

Wila is correct. I was talking about the ESXi hardware. I didn't realize that the hack isn't allowed here so I apologize. I get your point and you can go ahead and close this case. I'm running non-Apple hardware, yes. I don't plan on doing this for production purposes. This is all for lab purposes and I'm just trying to install one Mac test machine.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
FrankBE
Contributor
Contributor

I am using ESXI 6.0 upd 2 on a Mac Mini late 2012 en that is supported & allowed.

I use vSphere & Workstation 12 to remotely administer (starting from a PC)

For me too I canot create OS-X 10.11 or 10.12

So now what is the solution ?

0 Kudos
swhiteheadCA
Contributor
Contributor

I have this same issue... No luck so far

0 Kudos