VMware Cloud Community
Intel233
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No Internet access

I had an issue where my ESXi machine would not boot.  I had to install a new version on a USB stick until I can fix the original version.  I added this ESXi to Vcenter and then added back the VM's from the data store.  My issue is that NONE of the VM's have Internet access.  I have not used VMWare in a long time but I believe it has something to do with the virtual switch.   Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Hard to say with literally no details.

Anyway, what I'd guess, is that the VMs were connected to a port group which does not exist. Open the VMs' settings, and assign their virtual NICs to an existing port group.

André

0 Kudos
rickankrom1
Contributor
Contributor

I will tag-team on your first reply and say you need to (1) place a support ticket with VMware, or (2) begin looking at your port groups and/or DNS settings to ensure you are configured correctly to allow traffic across your LAN. What your previous replier was referring to is you included no information if you are using a standard switch, a distributed switch, and distributed port groups, uplink port groups, etc.

0 Kudos
Intel233
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry its a standard VM Switch   I have 5 VM's on this host.  2 windows machines can get out but my linux ones can;t   I already checked IP/gateway/dns and they are correct    The Windows boxes are only connected to VMNetwork but the linux ones say VMNetwork and SD-WAN Public.  On the ESXi server when I go to Networking I do not see SD-WAN Public.  So I wanted to remove it from those VM's but I dont see how.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> On the ESXi server when I go to Networking I do not see SD-WAN Public.

Since you've reinstalled the ESXi host, you may need to recreate this port group too!?

André

0 Kudos
Intel233
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I added SD-WAN Public on the ESXi server and that show 0 VM's.  In Vcenter it says 2 VM's connected.  

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did yo also re-assign the VM's (which require it) virtual network adapter to that port group?

André

0 Kudos
rickankrom1
Contributor
Contributor

That is correct, you must assign the VM to that specific NIC or Network.

0 Kudos