VMware Cloud Community
marshallmathers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No Coredump Target Has Been Configured. Host Core Dumps Cannot Be Saved

new 6.7 install on HPE G10

No Coredump Target Has Been Configured. Host Core Dumps Cannot Be Saved. K

does anyone know what this error is / how to resolve it ?

thanks,

0 Kudos
15 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You should really try to search on your issues prior to posting.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2004299

0 Kudos
marshallmathers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

esxcli system coredump partition get

this returns nothing

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Did you bother to read the KB in its entirety?

0 Kudos
zCerealSpillerz
Contributor
Contributor

the best part is how it says iscsi luns aren't supported yet it worked fine on mine for over a year and this JUST started appearing on my hosts...

daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

"not supported" ≠ "won't work" but it also means the results are unpredictable.

0 Kudos
veritigo191
Contributor
Contributor

technically it is talking about software iSCSI initiators not hardware iSCSI initiators

Note: Configuring a remote device using the ESXi host software iSCSI adapter, software FCoE adapter or to an NFS mount is not supported.

"Any attempt to configure a remote device using the ESXi host software iSCSI initiator results with this errorUnsupported disk type: Software iSCSI LUNs are not supported."

0 Kudos
clarknva
Contributor
Contributor

@daphnissov wrote:

You should really try to search on your issues prior to posting.

The irony of searching this error and finding this as the first response. Back to bed, old man.

KansysAdmin
Contributor
Contributor

I do not understand the level of or the response people receive when looking for answers. "Always get the typical response to a question" You should really try to searching for your answer prior to posting. Excuse me, but is this not the place to go looking for answers? Either way is this not what a vmware Technology Network forum is all about? If the question has already  been answered, why not simply add the link and reply? Maybe he/she did search and did not come up with the results they were looking for. The last thing I want is a belittling response to a question like "You should really try to search on your issues prior to posting." What is your vested interest here to respond like that. Are we really putting you out so much that a single statement response like....."here you are... I hope this helps. whether you work for vmware or not, that kind of answer is very off and I would probably not return to that site looking for help. If that is what you are going for then keep it up. Good job! Not everyone is as savy in searching the internet for an answer to a completely overly engineered undocumented program that changes without notification and more undocumented features than I would care to speak too. There was a time long ago that vmware engineers were happy to assist. if you are not a vmware engineer then do us all a favor and dont respond to questions. 

Thank you. 

Srijithk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Alright, being a recent member of this forum, below is a list of articles which has helped me and can help you configuring a coredump 

configuring coredump as a file (i feel this to be easy, use it in a vmfs based datastore)

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2077516

configuring coredump as a partition

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2004299

Recently I see that we are getting this warning from moving to 7.x from 6.7, have used the file method and was effective

Although, if you have a USB of size 64 GB (in my opinion) or higher as a boot media, you can use it to store coredumps too

first Navigate to 
Host > Advanced System Settings > Edit 
And set VMkernel.Boot.allowCoreDumpOnUsb to “True”

the boot option allowCoreDumpOnUsb=TRUE will also need to be set for it to be effective

reboot the host and while the boot process starts press shift+o and enter allowCoreDumpOnUsb=TRUE and then proceed 

please refer --> https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/77009

once the host has booted successfully, you can verify with --->  esxcli system coredump partition get     to ensure you got a coredump configured

Note: if you are using vSAN then its not recommended by VMware to configure coredump on it

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2074026

As of now SD/USB as a boot device is getting removed as a boot device option refer--> https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/85685

until 7.0 U2 d if you are booting from USB and want to store coredump there you can follow the above method

P.S. I hope this information helps the future folks visiting this thread in a hope to get their coredump configured, cheers 🙂

Thanks,

Srijith

Just_A_Tech
Contributor
Contributor

@KansysAdmin You put that very well.... and I registered on this forum to tell you just that...

@clarknva Ohh the Irony, as I to searched for "No coredump target has been configured. Host core dumps cannot be saved." and this was my first result.

mbartle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is the KB article I use when adding new hosts.  Hope this helps

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2077516

MSTeam6
Contributor
Contributor

It is certainly recommended that you have a core dump target configured, especially for Production systems. However, if you wish to suppress the warning, there is an ESXi Advance Setting which you can toggle called UserVars.SuppressCoredumpWarning (can be configure using Embedded ESXi Host Client or vSphere UI in vCenter Server) as well as ESXCLI. Below is the command to suppress the warning:

esxcli system settings advanced set -o /UserVars/SuppressCoredumpWarning -i 1

0 Kudos
owudoin
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue, and read it.  It was not helpful.  That person that responded was a jerk and not helpful.  unfortunately it is now the stand response you get from VMWare....

0 Kudos
swint
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm not sure how the original KB article offered to the OP is not helpful in solving this particular problem. The article clearly defines the process for creating and activating an ESXi Diagnostic Partition that can be used as a core dump location. If you run the command to view the existing diagnostic partition and one does not exist on your host, then follow the instructions provided to create one and activate it for use. The process is very clearly defined in the KB article.

If you don't have a storage location for a diagnostic partition on your host, then logically the next thing to do in your search for an answer is to find out what other options you have to store core dumps on an ESXi host. I encourage you and anyone else to exhaust every possible search for answers before asking someone else to find the answer for you. It's a great way to gain solid problem-solving skills. But, I digress.

To help anyone else out, if they come across this thread when looking for a solution, if you have no ability to create the diagnostic partition on your host, you can instead store your core dumps to a file. 

Configuring ESXi coredump to file instead of partition (KB 2077516)

0 Kudos
BattleNerd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same here.... LOL Came here to just state that. People need to stop yellin' at the clouds and just help or don't say anything at all, simple as that.

0 Kudos