VMware Cloud Community
winshenting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nic Failover Question

I have two nics. In the vSphere, I configure one as active nic0, the other one as standy nic1. Today, I disconnect the cable from the active nic. the nic1 is working now. But the display info is still standby. Wh y?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

Can you click into properties and see if the order of NIC 1 is still in standby?

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points.

0 Kudos
logiboy123
Expert
Expert

Is network failover configured on your vSwitch or on your Service Console & VM Network ports?

I would configure your VM Network port to use NIC1 active / NIC2 standby, then configure your Service Console to use NIC2 active / NIC1 standby.

This way you get seperation of traffic on vSwitch0, but it is a robust configuration since both will use a single NIC in the event of a failure.

0 Kudos
winshenting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

in the properties, the display is still the same

0 Kudos
winshenting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

configured on your vSwitch

0 Kudos
logiboy123
Expert
Expert

Ah! I see that I misunderstood. The secondary NIC is functioning as it should but it doesn't reflect this in your view of the networking configuration.

I would log a support call to VMware about that. Maybe it is the standard view or maybe there is a bug. I'm leaning towards the former option.

One thing you could try is the failover configuration I mentioned in my earlier post; leave the failover order as default on the switch itself and change the failover order on the ports instead.

VM Network - active nic1 / standby nic2

Service Console - active nic2 / standby nic1

The above configuration will seperate out your management and vm network layers to different nic's and still maintain redundancy. After setting up this configuration unplug one of the NIC's and test the connections to see if they behave as they should and how they look.

Cheers,

logiboy123

0 Kudos