VMware Cloud Community
MBaddcon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Newly converted Windows 2003 Virtual Machine does not contain bootable hard disk

I’m looking on advice for this problem.

I have used vConverter 4.0 to transform four physical servers to VMs. Two of my attempts ended in failure. One was a Windows 2000 standard server running as a web server. It simply cut off at 3% or 4%. Let’s leave that old trashed server for the time being.

The second one is a Windows 2003 Web Edition server. The P2V process actually made it all the way! But I cannot boot it. I discovered that the C-drive of the physical server was not there?! When editing the properties I see only one hard disk (there should have been one at 10 GB and one at 20 GB) It seemed as if the configuration in the P2V setup was misinterpreted?...

Originally I specified that the 51 GB C-drive and 74 GB D-drive should become a 10 GB (only 4.8 used) and a 20 GB (only 11.5 GB used). Instead I ended up with one huge 72 GB hard disk in the virtual machine

In this fourth attempt I have now tried not to tamper with disk sizes and just rely on thin provisioning. And there is room for the 51 + 74 GB disks on the ESXi Host should they utilize the full potential.

But it really puzzles me that I get a different result than I opted for in the P2V setup.

Any explanation?

The server in question is based on IDE disks and a legacy mainboard with a old Pentium 4 processor – not really a server. In contrast I have converted two physical servers successfully just before I ran into this problem. These were 12 to 14 year old Compaq DL380 G1 servers with SCSI disks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think part of the problem is you may not be changing the controller type from IDE to SCSI (this is in step 3). You can try the steps below, but if it were me I would just start the conversion over, resizing the disks as you want and ensuring the are using a SCSI controller

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1016828

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think part of the problem is you may not be changing the controller type from IDE to SCSI (this is in step 3). You can try the steps below, but if it were me I would just start the conversion over, resizing the disks as you want and ensuring the are using a SCSI controller

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1016828

0 Kudos
VMmatty
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

There is an option during the conversion to split up the two hard disks into separate VMDK files or make them one large VMDK file but with separate partitions. I always opt for creating two separate VMDKs since there isn't much sense in making separate partitions on the virtual hard disks. It sort of sounds like that is what happened here.

It's a small checkbox in the same screen where you resize virtual disks so it's easy to miss. Did you check that box or leave it at the default?

Matt | http://www.thelowercasew.com | @mattliebowitz
MBaddcon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This did the trick!

I made a new P2V conversion and got that little setting correct. I selected the SCSI LSI and under “Edit settings” it now reads LSI Logic Parallel. And it boots.

I was not aware of this matter. I have done dozens of P2V conversions but all but one has been “Proper Servers” with SCSI RAID controllers. Only one server in the past must have been a “bamboo server” with IDE Disks. Surprisingly this conversion went through and booted on an old Compaq DL580 G1 server (was an experiment to diagnose if the Windows 2000 server was flawed in the software or if it was the physical server that had errors). I’m sure I did not pick some SCSI controller back then.

Anyway I have a working virtual machine now.

Please also see my answer on the second helpfull answer.

Kind regards and many thanks

0 Kudos
MBaddcon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks – very good explanation

I have never had any problems with this. All my P2V conversions ended up with the desired number of hard disks. I cannot locate the check mark you are talking about (Would expect to find it under Step 3, where I choose to edit the proposed disk sizes). Maybe it is because the Destination ESXi Host is a version 4.0? I do remember this from previous conversions and maybe it is related to version 3.5?

I have reconfigured the disk sizes and have two disks with check marks. But you are right there will only be one Virtual Disk after the conversion – but I cannot configure it otherwise.

Anyway I ended up with one big disk. This is perhaps less than desired but I get rid of the ghastly old physical server. The Boot problem was in fact something with the controller as described in the Accepted answer.

Kind regards and many thanks

0 Kudos
MBaddcon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a question related to this controller problem.

I deleted the flawed virtual machine from the data store. Then I made a new P2V conversion.

Could I in fact have altered the controller under Edit settings?

Kind regards

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes, but sometimes that doesn't always work. You would also have to follow the KB article I pointed out to change the controller to SCSI. However, with that said, for P2V's, for me, it's easier to just let converter do this for you.

MBaddcon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you

I agree with you: It is best to do things right at first attempt.

Perhaps I will have an opportunity to try this another time and I will remember your advice then.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
VMmatty
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I take it from that screenshot that you're using the VMware Converter Standalone and not the plug-in to vCenter? Attached is a screenshot of what it looks like when using the plug-in, including the checkbox I'm talking about.

Matt | http://www.thelowercasew.com | @mattliebowitz
0 Kudos
MBaddcon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes indeed I use vConcverter Standalone 4.0. Super that you point out that there is a difference in how to handle hard disk creation.

Thanks a lot and Kind regards.

0 Kudos