VMware Cloud Community
wrns110
Contributor
Contributor

Newbie question about accessing vmware host from the internet using vsphere?

I am looking to access a vmware host from outside of a network. Basically, I have a lab in one location and I am looking to access the vmware host from any location from the Internet. I prefer to use vsphere client, is there a way to do it??

The Internet connect is a FIOS line from Verizon, the vmware host is connected directly to the Fios modem

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community -Is the IP address of the ESXi host reachable on the internet? If it is just put the IP address in the vSphere client as the hostname - Is there a firewall between the ESXi host and the modem? - if there is a a firewall it will need to be configured so a public IP will passed through to the ESXi host - You will alsp need to make sure that the necessary ports are opened on the firewall -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
wrns110
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Weinstein, I appreciate your reply.

I have opened RDP and am able to reach other computers inside the network from the outside. Once I forward the RDP traffics to the ESXI IP, nothing happens.

Is there something that needs to be done in the host itself as far as configurations?

Is RDP the way to do it? I have port 3389 open.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
eeg3
Commander
Commander

ESXi is not Windows-based and does not offer RDP connectivity. I would not recommend opening up the management ports to the internet to access the host, though. It is better to have a management Windows VM and connect in to it then access the host itself, or use VPN. This is very dangerous from a security perspective.

Technically, though, the following are the ports ESXi uses: http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.security.doc_50%2FGUID-ECEA7...

Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net
0 Kudos