VMware Cloud Community
logicsound
Contributor
Contributor

Newbie needs help with backup and recovery

So I just put in my first vsphere esxi 4.1 server with a vm of server 2008 standard and everything is running good only problem was the second processor was on backorder so in order to meet the deadline I had to build the server with one processor, I did some research and from what I found adding the 2nd processor later would not be a problem...WRONG!  I went on site last night and took the machine down and added the 2nd processor and ESXI got stuck booting at  "multiextent loaded succesfully"  Did some searching and didnt really find anything that helped, so I took the 2nd processor out and it booted back up fine.  This is a production server that they are now using everyday but I can work on it after hours.

I am very new to linux based OS so if you have a fix please explain it as if I had never used a linux machine, I read somewhere that maybe I could take a snapshot or backup of the vm and copy it to a usb drive then just reload esxi with the 2nd processor in place and then reload the vm?  If this is possible please explain to me the exact steps, as this is a production machine.and I can not lose this vm.

Please no comments about how I should have had some experience with vm before I jumped into a production server, I had no choice.

Thanks for any help!!

T

0 Kudos
13 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

VMs can be copy in several ways...

See: http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-10780

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Honestly, if your boot process got stuck from install of a second CPU, its not because you need a reinstall.  There is something wrong with your second CPU and/or your motherboard.

Is this a supported host?

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Multiprocessor motheboards have strict memory placement requirements. Make sure you have followed the manufacturers guidelines. Also make sure the second CPU matches the first. I don't like to use processors that have different stepping values and although they aren't quite as important as they have been in the past they can cause problems.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Moving to the ESXi 4 forum

0 Kudos
logicsound
Contributor
Contributor

I was not in charge of ordering the hardware but they were suppose to check comp.  I am verifing now and will post back soon.  THANKS!

0 Kudos
jmounts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

the processors have to be from the same family, and each processory needs memory to work. So if you have 8 gigs of ram, 4 2gig sticks, make sure you put 2 of those 4 sticks on the memory banks for that other CPU.

But as mentioned above, adding a 2nd CPU shouldnt require a reinstall, it hasnt for me.

logicsound
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the help,  Yes they are the same processor and they each have 8 gigs of memory.  Is there a log file that I can check that will tell me anything?   I am going to check with lenova and see if they have any ideas.

Thanks

T

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Have you gone into the machine BIOS. I can remember machines where I installed a second CPU and needed to go into the BIOS to  acknowledge the change. Your BIOS may record out of bounds messages so check to see if there are errors recorded there. Do double check the RAM placement and it wouldn't be bad to run any diagnostics that came witht the server including a memory test. I would reseat all RAM, add in cards, and the CPUs. Make sure that the heatsink and CPU have direct contact and heatsink compound. Most CPUs overheat in seconds if the heatsink isn't right and shutdown the motherboard to prevent issues.

0 Kudos
logicsound
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the replies, I will be going on site this weekend to try this again,  Would like to get a good backup in case anythign bad happens,  what is the best way to get a good backup of the vm?   for free I am hoping.

thanks

0 Kudos
logicsound
Contributor
Contributor

forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I would I use convertor to backup the vm?   just download it on the vm server and convert from p2v even though its a vm?

Thanks

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Converter can be used to make a copy of a virtual machine. It can make a copy of a powered off VM or powered on just like it was a P2V conversion.

0 Kudos
logicsound
Contributor
Contributor

thanks, I just downloaded convertor onto the deskop of the vm and when I go to run it I get a little confused, (i did read the manual and only saw directions on importing)  do I choose vmware infrastructure vm? and put in the ip address, username and password of the esxi server? I have no password on the esxi so it would not allow me to click next and try this.  Do I just choose powered on machine and convert it?   After that do I choose Vmware Infrastructure  or vmware workstation?

Thanks for any help you can give me, if I had to guess I would just choose powered on pc and destination vmware workstation and save it to a usb drive but I dont think this is correct.

Just to claifiy I am trying to create a backup of my 1 vm so in case I have to rebuild the esxi to get my 2nd processor to configure then I can plug up the usb drive and copy the vm to the datastore so I can remount.

Thanks so much for helping me out and making the transition to virtual easier for me.

T

0 Kudos
logicsound
Contributor
Contributor

ok I have the password set and I can get connected but it said it needed to be powered off which I understand and I think from what you said I can choose powered on machine and convert it to vm.  Question is what do I do for destination type?  if I choose vm infrastructure vm it looks like it wants to add it to my esxi and the other options are  vmware workstation and etc.  so which one do I pick so I can save it to the external usb and if needed import back into the rebuilt esxi.

Thanks

T

0 Kudos