VMware Cloud Community
SophiaSupport
Contributor
Contributor

New vSwitches do not get a management address

Hello,

I have two existings vSwitches (vSwitch0 with the VMKernel port "Management Network" and vSwitch1).

One of the virtual machines is a WIndows 2012 Server that is DHCP/DNS/Domain server but this is part a very large LAn I don't have a hand on.

All the VMs I connect to these two switches manage to connect to the internet.

If I go to Hardware > Networking > and that I click on the balloon tip on the right of the physical network cards assigned to the vSwitches I can access to "Cisco Discovery protocol" and I can see the network card ip address, which is the same than the Management address. I use this ip as a gateway on my VMs.

The problem is that every new vSwitch i set does not allow me to access to "Cisco Discovery protocol" (it says "Cisco Delivery Protocol is not available on this physical adapter")  but the bigger problem is that the VMs cannot get access to the internet not to the other subnets. They can only contact devices that have a network card connected to this new vswitch.

The network card appears as connected, the dhcp server is set as for the other scope that works but I have no ip to set as a gateway and the VMs do not manage to contact the gateways set onto the other vswitches (which I suppose could be solved by a new route on the dhcp server???

vswitch0: 10.5.153.0 / gateway 10.5.153.1 (two network cards)

vswitch1: 10.5.154.0 / gateway 10.5.154.1 (two network cards)

vswitch2: 10.5.155.0 / gateway 10.5.155.2 (one network card)

IPs on the dhcp server 10.5.153.2 10.5.154.2 10.5.155.2

I got this server from someone that is actually sick and don't know much about its configuration. Normaly the six network cards are set to work by two. vswitch0 and vswictch1 have two physical network cards but there's only one for vswitch2. Could it be the reason?

I deleted vswitch2 and tried over and over but I always get the same result...

Any idea what could be wrong? I havn't done any networking for ages and I have low experience on vmware products.

I read plenty of articles, posts etc but nothing I read helped me find a solution to this.

Thanks in advance

Julien

0 Kudos
1 Reply
SophiaSupport
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I tried to set two network cards instead of one, it didn't change anything.

I also tried to plug the cable to the other card instead as well.

One thing I forgot to mentionn: the physical network car of vswitch2 is connected to a little switch on with my test device is connected.

The test device can boot on pxe, download the wim and succesfully install it.

0 Kudos