VMware Cloud Community
jsteffen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

New vSphere 5 nic driver for Emulex?

I've got 8 new HP BL490c blades with Emulex Flex10 nics using Virtual Connect.  The nics do not work at all, AT LEAST NOT RELIABLY, with VirtualConnect and HP says there's a new driver coming out from VMWare soon and it will be benet2 version 4.0.355.  HP says it's in the certification phase and it'll be out 4th quarter sometime.

Does anyone know when this new driver will be available?  I'm a bit surprised that HP isn't coming out with their own driver like they have in the past.

Thanks!

Jason

0 Kudos
1 Solution
5 Replies
elxaamaya
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Jason,

The driver and firmware comes from Emulex then HP goes through thier qual testing then it gets submitted to VMware for posting. The hard part about giving specific dates is during testing issues may arise and need to be corrected. I checked as well with HP and its in process. Best thing to do is call HP's support and enter a ticket. As soon as it comes out you will be notified.  

jsteffen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Appreciate your replies.  I didn't have the vmware KB till now.

Thanks!

Jason

0 Kudos
NelsonPSU
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Looks like they finally got the firmware available for download as of 10/26. They updated the HP KB http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03005737

Now raise your hand if you trust their first release....

0 Kudos
struss
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I just upgraded the driver and firmware on one of our G7 blades, the ethtool output as per:

driver: be2net
version: 4.0.355.1
firmware-version: 4.0.360.7
bus-info: 0000:02:00.0

I power-cycled the blade, and allowed enough time for any residual power to dissipate.

I can confirm that I still have the following behaviours:

1) Upon a reboot, I will have a fair chance of having one link up, which will either display packet loss, or will be solid for an indeterminate amount of time, before going down.

2) If I want to bring the link up, I jump on the Console and ping the gateway of that particular vmk interface.  This is usually enough to bring the link up.

I have a pair of ProCurve 6120xg's, so unless i've done something remarkably wrong switch-side, it looks like the issues persist.

Cheers

Steve.

0 Kudos