ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  New to VMware; Need Direction

Posted Jun 10, 2014 09:15 PM

Good Afternoon,

I'm hoping that someone here can point me in the right direction for documentation or other resources that would pertain to my situation. I'll summarize my environment and what I'd like to do...

1. Currently we have a Windows Server 2003 PDC that also serves as the Test Environment for our CRM application (Sage).
    2. We have two additional servers; a Windows Server 2008 application server that hosts our live CRM application and a Windows Server 2008 server running SQL Server 2008R2.

What I'd like to do is...

1. Recreate the PDC in the virtualized environment; but as a Windows Server 2008 PDC instead of a Windows Server 2003 PDC.
    2. Using Symantec Backup Exec images, create (restore) the Windows Server 2008 application server in a virtualized environment.
    3. Using Symantec Backup Exec images, create (restore) the Windows Server 2008 SQL server in a virtualized environment.

At this point, I have a host computer that is a powerhouse ready to go but have not yet installed VMware or even the Windows Server 2012 OS on it. Being so new to this (zero experience with VMware), I'm not sure where to begin. I'm hoping that there is some good "Getting Started" type documentation available that you could recommend.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Tom

• 2.  RE: New to VMware; Need Direction

• 3.  RE: New to VMware; Need Direction

Posted Jun 10, 2014 10:29 PM

Very helpful, thank you!

• 4.  RE: New to VMware; Need Direction

Posted Jun 10, 2014 10:24 PM

Well for a production environment I would recommend a minimum of two hosts with vCenter running so you get some of the extra options like, HA, DRA, vMotion, ect, however if you only have the 1 host here is what you can do.

1.)  Install ESXi on the new powerhouse system, will will call this ESXi01 going forward

2.)  Install the VI client on your Windows Administration Workstation/Laptop.  This can be done by going to the IP address of the ESXi01 in a web browser and clicking on the Install vSphere client(VI).

3.)  If you are using local storage make sure it is in a hardware raid, either RAID1 or RAID5, if you only have 1 logical volume ESXi01 will have only 1 local datastore this is where your VM's will live.  If you have two logical volumes ESXi will of installed in the one you told it two leaving empty space to create a new Datastore, if this is the case create a new Datastore for your VM's to live in.

4.)  Create a new VM for your new 2008 PDC Domain controller

5.)  Once your new 2K8R2 DC is up and running promote it into your AD enviroment and transfer the roles.  You can keep the old 2003 DC as a secondary for additional support or demote it out and turn it off.  However it is highly recommended that you have at least 2 AD servers running.

6.)  Now you are left with vitalizing your application server and SQL server.  You could go with the backup and restore method however I think VMware's Standalone Converter will be MUCH easier for you.  I don't know if your sage box has a database like AD which you can't stop the services, if it does you will have to do the backup / restore deal, if you can stop the services Vmware's P2C Converter will do you just fine.

7.)  P2V process - There is lots of information on this around the web so I won't go into this in great detail but here is the jist:  Install Vmware Standalone Converter 5.5, its free and easy to use. Stop all services on your application server during an outage window and P2V the server, if you don't alter the drives in size you can keep it in block copy mode and do a sync which will minimize the downtime, otherwise keep users off the system for this process.   Once your application server has been running for a little while as VM and your comfortable with the process schedule another outage window for your SQL box.  Stop all SQL services and P2V the system.  Bingo bango your done.

8.)  Setup backups or make sure your backups are still functioning as they should, call it a day.

• 5.  RE: New to VMware; Need Direction

Posted Jun 10, 2014 10:31 PM

Thank you. I should have mentioned that I do have two identical, high performance hosts. How does that change your (very much appreciated) instructions?

Also, I have eight Constellation ES.3s in each server and have not yet configured the array(s). Rather than 1 or 5 as you suggested, I was planning on RAID 10. Is that okay to use with VMware? Additionally, is there a preference (performance, stability, etc) as to creating one or two RAID volumes?

Thanks again for your details above!

• 6.  RE: New to VMware; Need Direction

Posted Jun 11, 2014 01:40 PM

Having two hosts is always better, however without sharede storage (A SAN that can do NFS, iSCSI, Fibre) you will not be able to leverage some of the more advanced features like HA.  The reason behind this is HA and DRS depend on all the hosts sharing the same storage, which allows it to fire up VM's that where running on ESXi01 on ESXi02 in the event ESXi01 goes down.  Since it sounds like you are not using shared storage and using local storage on each host(8 .3s hard drives per host), these features will not be available.  With that said its not a problem and you can still run a virtual enviroment like you plan to just fine.

Moving foward with your raid plans,  yes RAID10 is acutally the best and gets you the best performace, however it does loose the most amount of space in setup and requires more drives.  When I originally told you raid 1 or 5, I was under the assumtion you where using local storage and probably only had 1-3 drives in each system.  Since you have 8 you can easily do raid 10 and get great disk performance out of each host.

The fact that you have two hosts instead of one doesn't change the instructions at all.  The only difference is you will just have to decide where you create your VM's and where you P2V phyiscal systems to in the virtulization process, thats about it.  Everything else stays the same.   Did you purchase vCenter as well if your licensing or did you just stick witht he standard ESXi licensing or free ESXi?  The only reason why I ask is if you have vCenter you can install that on a VM and use it to manage both hosts from one pane of glass management console.

One other thing i'll point out to you since you are using two hosts without shared storage is after ESXi 5.1 you can now do vMotion/Storage vMotion without shared storage.  This allows you to move a VM from one host to another live without disruption to the users.  Without shared storage this process does take a little longer but is possible at ESXi 5.1 and higher.  Below are three links that talk about the proecess.  This feature set does require vCenter and a vMotion licence however.

VMware vSphere 5.1

VMware vSphere 5.1

vSphere 5.1: vMotion without Shared Storage - YouTube

Last thing, if you are running Symantec Backup Exec as your backup software provider you can also look into thier VM backup agent.  It used to be you purchase a agent for the host and it would allow your to protect all VM's on the host with the VM agent and with the File level agent as well however it has been awhile since I've looked into it.  Getting back on track if you get Backup Exec's VM agent you can backup your VM's lock stock and barrel and restore them where ever you want in the event something ever goes wrong.  Depending on your VMware licensing though vCenter has a tool to do this as well and it comes with the vCenter license usally so just some other things to look into.   If you don't want to take VM's at a image level you can continue to use Backup Exec's file level agent and back up files like you used to when they where psyhical machines just fine.

Hope this helps

• 7.  RE: New to VMware; Need Direction

Posted Jun 11, 2014 04:32 PM

Once again, I've failed to describe my environment well enough. My sincerest apologies. Hopefully, the additions below will summarize everything pertinent to VMware and what we'd like to do.

1. We do, in fact, have a NAS server. It has eight 3.6TB Constellations in a RAID 10 configuration allowing for a total of 14.4TB of available disk space. We are currently using this server for SQL backups and Symantec Backup Exec images. If this server/space would be better utilized by employing VMware, I can easily reroute the backups to another location; likely to either one of the two host machines or, if preferred, to another NAS server that I can purchase.
    2. Our entire 25 user network has been upgraded from 10/100 to GB lan.
    3. Besides the three servers that we wish to virtualize, we have three additional servers that may, or may not, be virtualized as well.
      1. Servers Alpha, Bravo & Charlie are the three servers we are moving to a virtualized environment now.
      2. Server Delta is our Backup Exec controller as well as our network usage monitoring server.
      3. Server Echo is currently dedicated to the control and recording of 24 video surveillance cameras. However, video surveillance will soon be increased to 48 cameras.
      4. Server Foxtrot is the NAS server mentioned above.
    4. Our VMware licensing includes...
      1. vCenter Server 5 Essentials: 1 Instance.
      2. vSphere 5 Essentials Plus: 6 CPUs.

If the company would be best served by purchasing additional VMware modules/features we will do so. Currently, I am under budget for this project and I'd like to use every dime; that is, of course, assuming there are significant benefits that justify the additional expense(s). You mentioned above that by utilizing a NAS server we could "leverage some of the more advanced features like HA," as opposed to (I'm assuming here) configuring vMotion without shared storage. So, now that you know that we do have NAS, how does that change your advice and recommendations?

Thank you again for your time and your efforts in helping me out. It's tough jumping into a technology that I know little-to-nothing about so your guidance both is welcomed and greatly appreciated. Also, please know that any additional documentation links (or other resources) you can share are welcomed too.

Tom

• 8.  RE: New to VMware; Need Direction
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 11, 2014 04:59 PM

Well first off license wise it looks like your good for what you want to accomplish:

License Info:

VMware vSphere Essentials Kits

VMware vSphere Essentials Kits are all-in-one solutions for small

environments (up to three hosts with two CPUs each) available in

two editions— Essentials and Essentials Plus (see Figure 3). Both

editions include vSphere processor licenses and vCenter Server

for Essentials for an environment of up to three hosts (up to 2

CPUs each). Scalability limits for the Essentials Kits are product-

enforced and cannot be extended other than by upgrading the

whole kit to an Acceleration Kit (see Paid Edition Upgrades

section below). vSphere Essentials and Essentials Plus Kits are

self-contained solutions and may not be decoupled, or combined

with other vSphere editions

The only thing missing that you might want is Storage vMotion.  Lets cover this really quickly.  When you have shared storage to your ESXi hosts you can vMotion a VM from one host to another.  What this does is moves the VM from ESXi01 to ESXi02 without the users knowing, it does it live.  It essentially just tells the other host to run the VM from the shared storage and then copies all the information that is going on in memory over to the new host and cuts over.  It gives you the abiltilty to say move all your VM's over to another host prior to doing maintence on a host, do better load balancing, ect, ect.   Storage vMotion does the same thing but with the acutal storage.  So say you have a LUN/Datastore that is almost full and you want to move a VM, without having Storage vMotion you would have to shutdown the VM to move it.  The move is fairly quick but would require outage time.  With Storage vMotion you can just right click the VM and say Migrate storage and tell it which new LUN/Datastore you want it to move to.  This is all done live without any downtime to your users.  Now is this worth the extra licensing cost, is up to you and your company.

Now going back to weather or not to use your NAS SAN for ESXi is up to you, however there is some things to consider.

1.)  Is your NAS SAN on VMwares hardware compatability list, if its not you might be able to get away with it, but I wouldn't reccomened it

2.)  Does your NAS SAN have enough IOPS to supply your VM's, if the disks are to slow or can't keep up it will make your VM's seem laggy, now since your putting a small load on the NAS box this probably wouldn't be the case but its something to consider or look into

3.)  Currently NAS has no way to Multipath in ESXi, its apperently coming in future revisions, but isn't here yet.  What this means is you have to setup your connects to the NAS a little differently then say iSCSI.  It also means your limited to 1GB of throughput to your NAS, which is something you have to consider as is that enough throughput to run all the VM's running on your hosts an supply the IO requirements, if your keeping your enviroment low and there isn't a bunch of IO requirements it could do.  I would feel better with 2GB+ but there is no way to really do that with NAS currently.

Now the big benifit to using shared storage is you get HA.  Without shared storage you can't do HA, you would get everything else on that list above but without Shared Storage VM's can't start up on another host in the event one fails.  So if you setup your NAS to talk to your ESXi hosts as shared storage and ESXi01 dies (motherboard pops, a space rock smashes through the roof and turfs just that host, whatever) all the VM's running on ESXi01 will have an unexpected shutdown, but within mintues be starting up on ESXi02 as ESXi02 noticed its partner in the cluster has gone down.

With that said it also looks like you have 8 Disk drives in each ESXi host to be?  is that true?  if thats the case you have made an investment here and you may want to leverage that disk if possible.  Another thing you could do is run a hybrid solution where all critical systems run on a NAS datastore, while all non-critical systems run on the local storage on each box.  This is a decision you will have to make according to budget ect ect.

When it comes to vCenter you can install it as a VM and it doesn't require another Psyhical server to run.  You can even install the vCenter Applicance, which is pre-packaged VM with vCenter installed ready to go that runs off a little linux kernel.  You just deploy the OVF and configure it and your off to the races with vCenter.

Another thing to consider is if you use the NAS for VMware then your bacukp repository has to find a new home.  This could mean buying new hardware ect ect.

As far as virtulizing systems go, Vmware can pretty well virtulize anything that doesn't require a unique device or card.  For instance if your backup server has a tape drive connected to it, you won't be able to virtulize this as you can't pass your tape drive through to a VM or install the tape drive in one of the ESXi hosts.  Now you might find people that have done some hackory and got a setup like this to work, but its not best practice.  So systems like your backup server, camera system, ect typically stay psyhical as they have a hardware requirement.  For instance many camera systems I see are prapritary and need special PCI cards to link in, ect, ect, so we don't virtulize those.

Aslo a good source of self pace training material is:

http://www.pluralsight.com/training/trainsignal

they have HOURs and hours of recorded training courses for Vmware.  The DCA examp prep one by Jason Nash I went through prior to writting my VCAP-DCA and found it very insightfull.  This is more of an advanced course but they have many entry level ones and ones to prep you for your VCP if you want to right it.  They have a free trial you can use to see how it goes.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction.

• 9.  RE: New to VMware; Need Direction

Posted Jun 11, 2014 08:15 PM

Wow...thank you very much for all of your help. If, moving forward, I have specific questions (little doubt there), I will start a new topic in the appropriate group.

Just one last question before I let you go...

The Pluralsight website seems to have quite a bit of information on the ESX product but I don't see anything for ESXi. Is that a concern or is the training still applicable?

• 10.  RE: New to VMware; Need Direction

Posted Jun 11, 2014 08:50 PM

Anything past 4.1 is only ESXi.

There was a bit of a difference the biggest one being prior to the ESXi product you had a Service Console which ran some of the daemons and VMkerenls that ran others.  In ESXi everything runs out of the Management Service which replaced the service console, while isolated services like vmotion, FT, iSCSI, NFS are run out of the VMkernels

The other major thing is ESXi has a much smaller OS, when you used to login to the CLI in ESXi full you pretty well had a full Red Hat kernel at your disposal, now ESXi is much more trim and restricted.

Look for anything with Vmware 5 and up.  The VCP (Vmware Vertified Profesional) is the first level exam you can take.  Look for any courses on that or install/configur courses

Yeah no problem any time.  The community if really good and will typically have awnsers for you.

All the best!