VMware Cloud Community
JPrez
Contributor
Contributor

New to VMWare - How does one apply updates to the Host?

Hello All -

Long time lurker first time poster - coming from a different virtualization product I'm still getting acclimated to VMWare.

As part of the learning process I'm configuring

• vSphere 6 ESXi Essentials - ver 2494585
  • vCenter 6 Essentials

I am curious how system updates are applied (not to the virtual machines but rather, to the host) - I found a mention of using vSphere Web Client, selecting the host and going to Manage to perform updates - but the updates option doesn't appear to be there for version 6.

Is there a quick document on this process to perform updates that I'm simply missing?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

you need vSphere Update Manager

Please refer following Install and Configure guide

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-60/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-update-manager-60-install-admi...

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
Kisan_VMware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Follow the Vmware KB to  apply updates to the host in details.

VMware KB: Updating an ESXi/ESX host using VMware vCenter Update Manager 4.x and 5.x

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In order to use Update Manager you currently still have to use the Windows based vSphere Client. Full support for Update Manager on the Web Client is expected with the upcoming Update.

from http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2015/09/whats-new-in-vsphere-6-0-update-1-for-vcsa.html

Lastly, though this is not specific to the VCSA, I thought it was also worth mentioning that you can now access ALL capabilities of vSphere Update Manager (VUM) within the vSphere Web Client. VUM will still require a separate Windows system, but will fully inter-operate with both the Windows VC as well as the VCSA and you no longer need to rely on the vSphere C# Client to perform remediation or base-line creation and assignments.

André

0 Kudos