VMware Cloud Community
sailmn
Contributor
Contributor

New installation of ESXi 4 - Network Management IP loses connectivity

I just installed ESXi 4.00 Build 171294 on a Proliant ML 350 G5 server. The installation went fine, the host immediately received an IP address via DHCP, which I then changed to a static IP address. When you try to run a persistent ping to the management IP address, it may return the ping initially but then it is like the NIC goes to sleep because it will drop packets intermittently at first and then it doesn't respond at all. If you run the "Test Management Network" it will fail on the first test and then the NIC will "wake up" and pass the last three tests, but shortly thereafter it will start dropping packets again and then lose connectivity completely??

Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance,

Rick

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Your server is in full power mode (in BIOS setting)?

There are some firmware upgrade for your hardware?

Have you checked cable and switches?

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
jidhin
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you check your network configuration entries, hostname and DNS entry.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!
0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

verify that your Switch and your ESX host have negotiated the same network speed. If not, set it manually.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
sailmn
Contributor
Contributor

I have found the problem. I had installed VMware ESXi 4.0 on a server that had been used in a different capacity. The physical server previously had a Windows OS installed which is temporarily running as a virtualized server from a disk image created of the server, now running on a separate disaster recovery server.

The reason the pings are successful to begin with and then fail completely is due to the fact that the virtualized server retained its' old MAC address which is now also being used by the VMWare ESXi 4.0 server. So we had ARP poisoning going on and the VMWare server became unavailable. I shut down the virtualized server and now can ping the VMWare server consistently.

Hope this makes someone else smile!

PS - I had already checked the ESX.cfg, hosts, etc. files and they confirmed the MAC address and IP address as being correct. The problem was that the old server that was running virtualized from a disk image was also using the same MAC address, so when the VMWare server would first appear on the network you could communicate with it but eventually the switch would shut it down and only allow traffic to the virtualized server using that same MAC address (which in this case was a good thing).

Rick

0 Kudos
mallinath
Contributor
Contributor

Hi There,

I am also facing the same issue, My ESXi4 NIC is at 1000MB/Full & switch operated at 100MB/Full Duplex.

So want to change the NIC speed to 100MB/Full Duplex on ESXi4.

How can I do this on ESXi4 through command prompt?

Thanks

MV

0 Kudos