VMware Cloud Community
karrowo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

New install - can't ping configured gateway or DNS servers

Hello all,

My old VMWare ESXi 3.5 OS got corrupted so I did a fresh install of VMWare ESXi 4. It installed ok, and I was able to configure everything successfully, but when I run the network test it is unable to ping anything but it's own IP.

I have another machine on the same subnet with the exact same configuration settings (aside from hostname and static IP) and it is working correctly with no problems.

I already checked the ethernet cable in the back and the green light is on and flashing. I've tried restarting the machine after putting in the config information and the settings stayed to what I had set them to, but I'm still getting the same results. The network test is failing.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be the cause of this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VMmatty
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

How many NICs do you have installed and configured? Did you try swapping cables between the NICs?

Also, do you have any VLAN trunks configured on the switch? It's possible you need to specify a VLAN trunk for the management network in order to make it work. That would likely have already been configured on your 3.5 host but isn't automatically detected and added.

Matt | http://www.thelowercasew.com | @mattliebowitz

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
VMmatty
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

How many NICs do you have installed and configured? Did you try swapping cables between the NICs?

Also, do you have any VLAN trunks configured on the switch? It's possible you need to specify a VLAN trunk for the management network in order to make it work. That would likely have already been configured on your 3.5 host but isn't automatically detected and added.

Matt | http://www.thelowercasew.com | @mattliebowitz
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would also confirm that the physical NICs are supported in vSphere -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
edwardob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I do not mean to be rude, but double and triple check that you have the correct ip, subnet and gatewat, especially subnet specifed in the configuration 255.255.254.0 will cause you to fail if you need 255.255.255.0.

Is there only 1 network card in this system? If there isnt the fresh install could have changed what you think is the correct card.

Can you ping the esx host from the other system?

Do you have a speed/duplex issue? green light in the back does not mean the esx host has sync speeds correctly. If it is not set it to auto and see if it helps.

Change cables.

Change switch ports.

0 Kudos
karrowo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There are two NICs, turns out the nic it was using got switched during install, after plugging the cable into the other NIC port, everything started working.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos