VMware Cloud Community
Awartani-2022
Contributor
Contributor

New in VMware

Dear All 

I am new in VMware
After register i downloaded VMware ESXi 7 but its seems to be not detect my NIC card I added other but both not working 

I did add some vib files  using customizer tool ,I believe for the NICs but not pass through also 

I have intel 100 pro management controller 

also 

Rtl 8111d 

I want to build as a home lab so I can learn in my free time.

is there any work around 

thanks for any help 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As your post needs moving to the area for ESXi, I have reported it to the moderators.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Awartani-2022
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you  Mr Scot28tt

Sorry for that and i appreciate that.

0 Kudos
Awartani-2022
Contributor
Contributor

Please is it ok to use the version and the free license in my account for non commercial use for learning.

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi,

I have no idea what VIBs you added but I very much doubt they include support for an Intel PRO/100 network card, daughter of twenty years old technology (at least), with ESXi version 7.0Ux.

Then, the "free" license has functional limitations but allows for both personal and commercial use.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
Awartani-2022
Contributor
Contributor

Thank , Ferdinando 

Yes I know its old , but this what is  built in MB I think I have to buy new one to done my work.

Kind regards

Ahmad 

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Nothing prevents you from installing one of the most recent versions of the ESXi product in combination with hardware not present in HCL, but in addition to not being supported in any way it is always an unknown factor, many have been successful and instead as many have failed, and the more the older the hardware you have and the more likely that this will happen.

A viable alternative is to use a recent "PC", with adequate characteristics, install the VMware Workstation product and then install ESXi on a virtual machine set up for the purpose, ie a so-called "nested" environment.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
Awartani-2022
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much for this idea and look like good to me .

one quition if you dont mind ,is there a free vm workstation I can downloaded to complete my job ,also as I understood the workstation will aplicable to detect the devices like NIC  and when I install the ESXi  will be aplicable to recover the drivers from the vm workstation .

is it right what I understood.

Regards

Ahmad

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi @Awartani-2022,

There are many "homelabs" built around the concept of "nested virtualization", I use this method to validate new product versions without bothering physical hardware or "dirtying" what works reliably as it is. For this purpose I use workstations with adequate characteristics, especially RAM, running a desktop operating system from Microsoft (Windows 10 / 11) on which the VMware Workstation Pro product is installed, others use VMware player but in the end the result does not change, ESXi is then installed in a virtual machine. What matters is that the virtual machine where ESXi is installed has "vmxnet3" network interfaces.

However, a particularly willing person, who occasionally writes in this same forum, has set up "Nested ESXi Virtual Appliance" ready for use which you can find on his website. In my opinion it is a good way to initially approach VMware technologies in a simple and, all in all, economical way.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos