VMware Cloud Community
1q2w3e4r
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

New Vsphere servers (2) , can't connect with vsphere client

This is odd, it's a brand new build on 2 new servers. With ESXi5  there not really any install config so there's nothing to screw up, so I've done the std install, then tried to connect to the server with the client and I get "Call "ServiceInstance.RetrieveContent" for object "ServiceInstance" on Server "10.70.1.20" failed".

This happen on both servers.

Other posts suggest this is because of trying to connect via HTTP instead of HTTPS but I'm not using either prefix, just the IP address.

If I type the server IP in a browser I get the standard ESXi server web page so IP connectivity is fine.

The other strange bit is that I have 3rd ESXi 5 server on different hardware built using the same media that works ok.

The vi client log shows this:

<Error type="VirtualInfrastructure.Exceptions.ConnectionError">
  <Message>The client did not receive a complete response from the server '10.70.1.20'. (The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.)</Message>
  <InnerException type="System.Net.WebException">
    <Message>The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.</Message>
    <InnerException type="System.IO.IOException">
      <Message>Received an unexpected EOF or 0 bytes from the transport stream.</Message>
    </InnerException>
    <Status>ReceiveFailure</Status>
(snipped)
If I enable SSH and try to SSH on the server, Putty gives me an "Incoming packet was garbled on decryption" error.
So it looks like encryption is screwed somehow, but since I can't connect to the server I'm strugglin for troubleshooting options???
Any ideas?
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

https://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere5/doc/vsphere-esx-vcenter-server-50-release-notes.html

From the release notes:

Using the bundled Emulex BE2/BE2 NICs (be2net driver)
When using vSphere 5.0 with Emulex BE2/BE3 NICs (be2net driver) in a HP FlexFabric/Flex-10 or IBM Virtual Fabric Adapter (VFA) environment, connectivity may not work properly on Windows VMs or the server when VLANs are configured.

Workaround: Do not use the driver bundled with vSphere 5.0. Before upgrading to vSphere 5.0, please obtain an updated driver from Emulex, HP, or IBM that should be used on HP FlexFabric/Flex-10 or IBM VFA systems.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
29 Replies
1q2w3e4r
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

And it gets stranger...

I just changed the network settings to DHCP, VLAN 1 and now it works. If I set it back to a static IP on VLAN 501 (where it will live) I get the errors again.

I can ping and bring up the server webpage no problems with either config, so there's some strange network magic happening.

0 Kudos
1q2w3e4r
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hate to have a one man conversation here, but I just want to log my own progress in case someone else has the same drama.

I read something that suggested RAM may be playing a part, but swapping out and trying different configs made no difference.

Next up was to play with the network. This is an HP Blade setup with FlexFabric so this is the most likely culprit (Flex looks cool when it's working and you only need a few cables, but it's a pain in the arse when you need to troubleshoot).

On my switch I created a native VLAN for 501, then detagged the Mgmt VLAN on my ESX servers and it now works!

So it's something to do with the way VLAN tags are handled from the server, through the FlexFabric to the Cisco switch.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

how about just doing a back to back from your laptop to vsphere server? this would isolate any of the vlan and firewalls settings in your environment.

0 Kudos
ChristianKlottr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just to let you know I have the same issue.

When trying to connect with vSphere Client I get the following error message, see screenshot:

Connection Error:The client did not receive a complete response from the server '10.5.5.74'. (The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.)  Error Stack Call "ServiceInstance.RetrieveContent" for object "ServiceInstance" on Server "10.5.5.74" failed.

I get a different but related message when trying to connect via vCenterServer 5, see screenshot.

I'm installing my ESX5 server onto an HP Blade 460 G7 and I am using the HP ISO, a colleague has tried the standard VMWare one too, we both get the same error.

I tried this as an upgrade to an existing ESX4.1 host first, then after getting this error, I tired a clean install, same error.

I too have a VLAN in place.  I can ping the server on its IP and browse to its webpage,, when logging in I even get the certificate warning, then shortly after, the error message.

Any one any ideas or basic troubleshooting steps I can carry out?

0 Kudos
JimPeluso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have you verified the trunks are correct on the ports? If you don't mind post them here. Post an exmaple of the working config and the config that's not working on the switch.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"
0 Kudos
1q2w3e4r
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My problem is the FlexFabric in the Blade Chassis. I think I'm trying to do something that is unsupported.

The Flex has two modes: VLAN Mapping and VLAN Tunneling. I tried to do VLAN Tunneling but it doesn't support VLAN tags, which is why is wasn't working for me. Once I removed the tags it worked, however I need traffic to be tagged, so I have to scrap all my server profiles, delete the Flex Domain, reconfigure the Flex for VLAN Mapping instead, then setup all the VLANs in the Flex, then create new Server Profiles all over again.

Lesson for young players, Flex is a tricky beast, proceed with caution.

0 Kudos
ChristianKlottr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I logged a call with VMWare support regarding my issue.  They were very helpful and have indicated that this is in fact an issue with the HP/Emulex driver.

As per our conversation regarding your connectivity issues, when connecting via SSH and vsphere client to the ESXi 5.0 host and Virtual Center 5.0

When using vSphere 5.0 with Emulex NICs and the Be2net driver in a Flex-10 environment this may not work.
The workaround is to not use the driver bundled with vsphere 5.0. Contact either HP or Emulex for an updated driver.
I've opened a call with HP and am waiting for their response.
I have a contact who uses the same infrastructure as I do and they have been able to prove that it is a VLAN tagging issue.  When untagged, it works fine, when tagged, not.  I am not in a position to change any of our setup up, it works fine for v4 and I'd really like to work for v5 too.
When I have a response form HP I'll post it here.
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

https://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere5/doc/vsphere-esx-vcenter-server-50-release-notes.html

From the release notes:

Using the bundled Emulex BE2/BE2 NICs (be2net driver)
When using vSphere 5.0 with Emulex BE2/BE3 NICs (be2net driver) in a HP FlexFabric/Flex-10 or IBM Virtual Fabric Adapter (VFA) environment, connectivity may not work properly on Windows VMs or the server when VLANs are configured.

Workaround: Do not use the driver bundled with vSphere 5.0. Before upgrading to vSphere 5.0, please obtain an updated driver from Emulex, HP, or IBM that should be used on HP FlexFabric/Flex-10 or IBM VFA systems.

0 Kudos
ChristianKlottr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, RTFM then Smiley Wink.  I'll see what HP come back with, hopefully the driver exists.

0 Kudos
ChristianKlottr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I notice some just released firmware on the HP Support site too, I'll try this on my test blade.

Minimum Emulex CNA/LOM Firmware for VMware ESXi 5.0,

Version:4.0.348.0 (13 Sep 2011)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=4194638&...

0 Kudos
ChristianKlottr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The firmware update made no difference.

0 Kudos
ChristianKlottr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Finally had an official response from HP:

ESXi 5.0 inbox be2net 4.0.88.0 driver due to a VLAN tagging issue

This version of the driver only affects Virtual Connect configurations. The async be2net 4.0.355 driver supporting ESXi 5.0 in a Virtual Connect environment is in the certification process currently.  This driver should be completed and posted to VMware's website for download in mid September

2011. This driver will also be included in HP ESXi 5.0 image releasing in mid September.

0 Kudos
rgregedwards
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We're having the same problem.

Has anyone found a workaround?

...Or perhaps has gotten their hands on a beta of the new driver?

I would argue that Sept 19th is mid-september... maybe even late.

0 Kudos
ChristianKlottr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well the 'workaround', it seems is to not use VLAN tagging.  Or wait until they release a new driver that we can manually add to the ISO, or wait until they release the new ESX ISO.  I suggest that you log a call with HP support and hopefully that will apply some pressure to them.  Please report back how you get on.

0 Kudos
rgregedwards
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, the new driver is there.... and backdated to August 22.

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/dt_esxi50_emulex_oce11102_be2net_4_0_355_1/dHRAYnQqQEBiZHAlJQ=...

Sounds good so far.

0 Kudos
jklimczak
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So we have kinda the same issue on our demo Box IBM x3650 x5

It connects to vCenter fine and after 24hs we need to reboot the server and it works fine  so strange

0 Kudos
rgregedwards
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nevermind the link for that matter - its showing up in VUM too...(non-critical baseline)

0 Kudos
ChristianKlottr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had an update from HP today.  Not positive.

They also pointed to the VMWare site for the driver, indicating that this is the one that should be used, however, it requires a firmware update to work, which is currently not released and they have no release date for this either.

It seems that they are not going to be releasing an new ESX5 iso anytime soon.

Message was edited by: ChristianKlot…

0 Kudos
ChristianKlottr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This firmware was available and now it isn't, I guess HP have removed it for some reason.

0 Kudos