VMware Cloud Community
defrogger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

New Vcenter Server and adding Hosts

Hello, we are planning on creating a new Vcenter Server.  Been having a bunch of weird issues with Vcenter.  Currently running Vcenter 5.1 on Windows.  Havent decided if we are going to use the VCenter Appliance or create a new Windows Vm for Vcenter yet but I dont think that will matter for my question.

My plan is to turn off HA and DRS on the old Vcenter Server, then remove a host from the old Vcenter server, then add that host to the new Vcenter server.  Then just repeat the process for each host. 

My question is, should I power off any VM's running on the hosts before removing it from the old vcenter server?

If I remember right you dont have to, the VM's should stay up and running, no connectivity should be lost, and the users should not no the difference.  We are planning on doing this off hours but there are always a couple vm's that are used 24/7.  So it would be prefered to not have to shut them down first.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
brunofernandez1
Jump to solution

Hi defrogger

Yes, this is the right way to migrate the ESX Server to a new vCenter.

Turn off HA/DRS and then disconnect the ESXi Server from the vCenter and connect them on the new vCenter.

By disabling DRS you will loose the Ressource Pools. So its maybe better you set DRS only to manual.

Another thing that a lot of people forget are the virtual machine options on the cluster options. they have to been configured again on the new cluster.

btw. there is a guide from vmware:

VMware KB: Moving a managed ESXi/ESX host from one vCenter Server to another vCenter Server

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards from Switzerland, B. Fernandez http://vpxa.info/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
brunofernandez1
Jump to solution

Hi defrogger

Yes, this is the right way to migrate the ESX Server to a new vCenter.

Turn off HA/DRS and then disconnect the ESXi Server from the vCenter and connect them on the new vCenter.

By disabling DRS you will loose the Ressource Pools. So its maybe better you set DRS only to manual.

Another thing that a lot of people forget are the virtual machine options on the cluster options. they have to been configured again on the new cluster.

btw. there is a guide from vmware:

VMware KB: Moving a managed ESXi/ESX host from one vCenter Server to another vCenter Server

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards from Switzerland, B. Fernandez http://vpxa.info/
0 Kudos
defrogger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have all the DR and HA Settings written down.  Not to much to worry about.

So what it sounds like I shouldnt have to worry about shutting down the VM's first, I can keep them on while moving them to the new Vcenter server?

Thanks

0 Kudos
brunofernandez1
Jump to solution

right!

The VMs will continue to work all the time

defrogger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Perfect, thanks for the info

0 Kudos