VMware Cloud Community
Calv
Contributor
Contributor

New VMs failing to connect to physical network.

Hi,

I've been using VM workstation for awhile now, but have been tasked with configuring an internal vSphere server for internal testing. I'm a novice with this so my question is probably stupid, but I can't find any clear answer to it from searching around.

Essentially, when deploying new VMs into vSphere they are failing to connect to connect to the physical network that the host is sitting on and thus failing to receive IP addresses correctly. The Management network doesn't seem to have any problems, just the VM network.

Any help appreciated.

UPDATE: If I manually assign an IP to the VM, it can then access everything fine, the problem seems to be limited to receiving DHCP traffic.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
unsichtbare
Expert
Expert

I would look at the Security Properties of the vSwitch and Port Group

+The Invisible Admin+ If you find me useful, follow my blog: http://johnborhek.com/
0 Kudos
LucianoPatrão

Hi,

You are talking about nested ESXi?? If yes, the network Switch here the Nested ESXi is connected needs to have promiscuous mode enabled.

Luciano Patrão

VCP-DCV, VCAP-DCV Design 2023, VCP-Cloud 2023
vExpert vSAN, NSX, Cloud Provider, Veeam Vanguard
Solutions Architect - Tech Lead for VMware / Virtual Backups

0 Kudos
pedrocalixto
Contributor
Contributor

If you want your VMs to communicate with your physical network, make sure your NIC is configured as bridge in Workstation.

_________________________________________ If you find an answer that helps you, please mark it as "correct" or "helpful". VCP6-DCV Http://pedrocalixto.com | virtually anything is possible
0 Kudos
Calv
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the replies.

Turns out our network guy hadn't actually enabled DHCP on the subnet range /facepalm

0 Kudos