VMware Cloud Community
drakeramoride
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

New VM created as thin but occupying full disk space in datastore

Hello everybody and thanks for trying to help me.

I have created a new Windows 10 64b as a VM under a ESXi 6.7. I assigned 1 Tb disk with thin provisioned under a VMFS6 datastore.

But the VM occupies 1Tb in the datastore instead 10Gb of real space used (as if it was thick instead thin)

Do windows 10 support thin provisioned? I did something wrong of forget anything? How can I solve this?

Thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KocPawel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Check this out:

VMware Knowledge Base

Or if you want check how much space you VM consume:

Procedure

1. Browse to the virtual machine.
  2. Double-click the virtual machine and click the Summary tab.
  3. Review the storage use information in the upper right area of the Summary tab.

Storage Usage shows how much datastore space is occupied by virtual machine files, including configuration and log files, snapshots, virtual disks, and so on. When the virtual machine is running, the used storage space also includes swap files.

For virtual machines with thin disks, the actual storage use value might be less than the size of the virtual disk.

0 Kudos
drakeramoride
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello and thanks for the answer,

I access via web to the ESXi and there is no summary tab. The VM consume 1Tb de space as I told before, but only 10 Gb of space used in the VM, so I don't understand why...

0 Kudos
SrVMwarer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

1. Have you tried to Storage vMotion the disk in question, and re-change it's format to thin?
  2. Is it VMFS 6.x?
Regards, İlyas
0 Kudos