VMware Cloud Community
PaulBons
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

New User vSphere Hypervisor License Question.

I realize this may be a dumb question, but the free license I received for ESXi stated 5 Machine License. Is that 5 hosts? or 5 VM's on a single host?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There are actually no such limitations. The current version is only limited to 32GB of  physical host memory and some lower limits for VMs (e.g. max. 8 vCPUs/VM). You will also have limited API access, which prevents from using most commercial VM based backup solutions. See Getting Started with Free VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) for some more details.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jrmunday
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi Paul - Which version are you referring to?

vExpert 2014 - 2022 | VCP6-DCV | http://www.jonmunday.net | @JonMunday77
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

This doesn't seem to be a Hypervisor license. The free edition does not have such limitations. What's the exact license name/message you see?

André

0 Kudos
PaulBons
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware vSphere Hypervisor 5 License

Looking in my notes I have written 5 machines but now I'm thinking maybe I just mistaken the version 5 for meaning 5 licenses and in turn 5 machines. I don't know. So what are the limitations on the free license then? limited to 1 host machine? or can it be installed on a second host?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There are actually no such limitations. The current version is only limited to 32GB of  physical host memory and some lower limits for VMs (e.g. max. 8 vCPUs/VM). You will also have limited API access, which prevents from using most commercial VM based backup solutions. See Getting Started with Free VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) for some more details.

André

0 Kudos
PaulBons
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your help André & jrmunday.

0 Kudos