VMware Cloud Community
MarcS07
Contributor
Contributor

New Setup ESXi and iSCSI

Hello all, I am new to setup and coniguring all this.  I have 2 PE R710 with ESXi 4.1 (embedded) installed and a PV 3200i.  Currently the SAN is connected via all 8 iSCSI port to the Hosts.  Both Hosts and SAN are connect to the internet.  I'm not sure how to configure the iSCSI ports so the Hosts can see it.  As mentioned the Hosts and SAN are connected directly, no switch in between.  Can you give me some tips or direction?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
timjwatts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

In the briefest and most general terms you need to do 3 things:

(All in vClient, the vSpehere windows client, pointed at either a vCentre server if you have an external one, or directly at the ESXi host)

1) Highlight the ESXi host, then Configuration tab. The Hardware/Networking and set up a vSwitch and add the NICs that connect to the SAN

2) Add a VMK kernel NIC to this vSwitch and configure for iSCSI and configure the IPs to suit the SAN

3) Go to Hardware/Storage Adaptors and configure with SAN parameters (CHAP details if required, etc

=====

2 can get weird if you are trying to do MPIO multipathing. I would start with one NIC to see if it works.

3 depends on whether you are using hardware accelerated iSCSI (iSCSI offload) or pure software iSCSI. Are you using the Broadcomm NICs in the Dell server? If so, they probably have iSCSI offload engines, BUT cannot handle jumbo frames in this mode (based onmy Dell R610s). If so, forget the iSCSI offload and set for software initiator in VMWare and use the biggest frame size the SAN can manage.

Fiddling around with the above should get something that works - but likely will not be optimal - especially when it comes to MPIO. I'd prove it works first and then revisit it for tuning.

I don't know your SAN - but as it is a Dell jobbie, have a look at the support/downloads section for it and see if there are any HIT (Host Integration Tools) for VMWare. Finding those first can save massive hassle. My EQL PS6500E came with some MPIO drivers for ESX (load first on each host) and a nice perl setup script that did all the donkey work in steps 1-3, and did them optimally.

HTH

Tim

0 Kudos
MarcS07
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your direction and tips.

0 Kudos
timjwatts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Oh - and I forgot to say, hit "Rescan All" a lot Smiley Happy

Those instruction may not get it all working - suggest you pop back if you get stuck.

Cheers

Tim

0 Kudos