VMware Cloud Community
martinbuffleo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

New Server Enviroment ESXi5

From all my studying I understand that DNS is fundimental to how ESXi works.

However I am building a new network with no exsiting infrasturcture. therefore no DNS, I plan to host my DNS on my virtual Domain Controller.

What is the recommended way of doing this?

Also I want to use the vCenter server OVF, but you need vCenter to build the VSphere enviroment, to put the virtual vCenter on to.

Catch 22.

Thanks in advance for the help

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
proden20
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You won't need to install DNS right away.  Install your ESXi host and deploy the vCenter Appliance OVF to it.  Then use the vCenter to create your AD / DNS server (you don't need AD for DNS,) and then go back and set your DNS server in the ESXi / vCenter.

Although HA doesn't have the DNS requirement anymore, you can experience errors with console redirection and the like when using vCenter to manage your environment, so get the DNS records and servers set right away before you build out your environment further.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

i guess you are using MS Active Directory. So you could create a static DNS entry for your ESXi Hosts.

Prior ESXi5 HA rely on DNS. Now, for HA you do not need DNS because it works with IP adresses.

But for me, i usual make DNS entrys for all of my hosts.

If you have vCenter License, you could install first your ESXi Hosts. Download the vSphere Client from that host (http://youresxname) and install it on your local machine.

Now, you  are able to install a virtual machine where you can install vcenter. Or deploy ovf file vm´s.

Or try the trial from the vCenter. 60 days without license.

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
martinbuffleo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks for the reply.

Unfortualty I don't have an Active Directory server in place as I plan to install that as a guest. So in ESXi I dont have a DNS server to point to.

Thanks for the advise on vCenter, that make sense.

0 Kudos
proden20
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You won't need to install DNS right away.  Install your ESXi host and deploy the vCenter Appliance OVF to it.  Then use the vCenter to create your AD / DNS server (you don't need AD for DNS,) and then go back and set your DNS server in the ESXi / vCenter.

Although HA doesn't have the DNS requirement anymore, you can experience errors with console redirection and the like when using vCenter to manage your environment, so get the DNS records and servers set right away before you build out your environment further.

0 Kudos